Elizabeth's Reviews > Three Ways to Die

Three Ways to Die by Lee Goldberg

Nov 27, 10

bookshelves: short-stories
Read in November, 2010

I came across this book totally by accident, downloaded it to my Kindle, and was delighted to be reminded of the pleasures of good short story writing. It was a surprise to find short stories in this murder/detective genre.

Each of these three stories was told in a different voice, each unique. In each case, someone either "got away with murder" or was found out when they thought they had committed the perfect crime. The author knows his way around human nature and the darker side of human emotions. In one story, he gave his protagonist the chance to act on this kind emotion in a circumstance which, if we found ourselves in it, would love to do the same but would never have the nerve. This cleverly pulls the reader into the interesting mindset of being surprised how satisfying it was to have the character get away with it. In another story, the plot is reminiscent of a Sherlock Holmes story when the reader discovers at the end how a seemingly innocent death was actually a murder.

These were fun.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Ways to Die.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Goldberg Thanks for the great review! I hope you will consider posting it on Amazon, too.

Lee

Elizabeth Lee wrote: "Thanks for the great review! I hope you will consider posting it on Amazon, too.

Lee"

Done, Lee, and happy to do so. I try to remember to post my favorable reviews on Amazon too, but with the holidays, your nudge made it happen more quickly. I'm still chuckling over your Amazon bio (it inspired a hilarious discussion with my husband about what the heck a freelance sexual surrogate might be...he wasn't sure, but he said he thought he'd enjoy training to become one too.).

Best wishes,

Elizabeth

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Goldberg Thank you!

Regarding sexual surrogates... many years ago, I talked to a female sexual surrogate as research for a script I was writing (it was, if I remember correctly, an episode of a show called LIKELY SUSPECTS). She helped men and women get over their sexual dysfunctions and other issues by, um, giving them direct instruction. Have trouble finding your G-Spot? She'd find it for you. Can't get it up? She'd show you how. There was a debate at the time in the media about whether sexual surrogates were prostitutes or physical therapists. I always found it funny and meant to write more about it.

Elizabeth Okay, so now I feel totally edified (she says with a big grin). That tidbit should be good for a cocktail party someday :-).

Here's to interesting script research...