Bonnie's Reviews > Story of a Soul (l'Histoire d'une Ame): The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux

Story of a Soul (l'Histoire d'une Ame) by Thérèse de Lisieux

Jan 13, 11

bookshelves: inspirational, bibliography, 2011
Read from November 27, 2010 to January 11, 2011

This book was truly a story of the soul and not a story of the life of St. Therese of Lisieux. I greatly admire the simplicity she desired and her love for God and the church. Everything she did, from the early age of 3 until the age of 15 was in preparation for entering the Carmel as the youngest to enter the Carmel of Lisieux. Her determination to enter could not be stopped - even by the Pope himself.

Not being Catholic there were a few bumps of understanding to hurdle but the general translation of her writings were understandable and had a decent flow. There were a few loose ends dangling here and there but translations generally have this effect. But the writings were those of a young woman in her early 20's, who was also sick with tuberculous, and writing under this circumstance may have caused a bit of jumping around. She does apologize for this as rambling on her part not knowing what is required from the request to write things down.

Two scriptures stood out and caused Therese to look to being and remaining 'little' in the eyes of all in order to keep favor with God. Her limits then became a joy rather than a disappointment.
(Proverbs,9,4) If anyone is a very little one, let him come to me.
Isaiah (66:12-13) As a mother caresses her child, so I shall console you, I shall carry you at my breast and I shall swing you on my knees.
She gave great importance to the little things in life for they were the unseen blessings bestowed upon others that will give great joy to God.

An amazing story. An amazing woman. An amazing way of life to emulate.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story of a Soul (l'Histoire d'une Ame).