Emilie's Reviews > Angelfire

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Nov 27, 2010

bookshelves: series, reviewed, own

So far this year I have read some fantastic debut novels, and Angelfire has now joined that list. It was a great story packed with action, romance, twists and turns that left me wanting more. I absolutely loved it!

Ever since school started up again, Ellie has been having strange nightmares and can’t seem to focus on anything, especially in school. And as her seventeenth birthday gets closer, Ellie’s nightmares appear to be coming to life. And then there’s Will, the mysterious boy who just seems to appear both in her nightmares and in the real world. Ellie feels a connection to Will, like she’s always known him, but she doesn’t understand just how that could even be possible. But Will just might be the only person who can help Ellie understand what her nightmares mean and how to deal with them when they start coming to life. Ellie definitely needs to trust Will, especially if staying alive is something she wants to do.

Ellie is basically a superhero, but a very reluctant one. I loved that she didn’t immediately believe everything Will was telling her. It was so refreshing not to have a protagonist who believes everything she’s told, there is nothing more that annoys me more than that. Of course that is not the only thing I liked about Ellie, she was a pretty great character. Will was pretty dreamy if you ask me. I loved how loyal he was to Elli and didn’t ever doubt her. The best part though, was seeing the relationship between Ellie and Will develop and blossom. Both struggled with it, but for me that only made it that much better and feel more real.

Courtney Allison Moulton wrote a wonderful story. It kept me guessing the whole way through and never saw what was coming next. Until I read Angelfire, I had never encountered reapers, and I loved finding out about paranormal beings and how their world functions. Though my favorite part of the story was how she weaved in the nightmares and the flashbacks. I didn’t really think much of them at first but they turned out to be an integral part of the story. They really added more depth and I don’t think the story would have worked as well without them.

Angelfire was a great and highly enjoyable read. Courtney Allison Moulton is a fantastic new writer and I can’t wait to read what comes next from her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfire.