Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > Remember Me?

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

Dec 18, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, fiction, chick-lit, amnesia
Read in November, 2010 — I own a copy

I recently picked up this jacket-less hardcover for a dollar at a book sale held at my office to raise money for charity - I quite enjoy Kinsella's Shopaholic books but I absolutely loathed The Undomestic Goddess, so I've been wary about trying another of her standalones. Still, for a dollar I didn't feel like I had much to lose. And maybe it was due to my low expectations, but I did enjoy this one.

Lexi is out with her three best friends, who are celebrating the bonus they got at work (a carpet company) - a bonus Lexi didn't get because she hasn't been working there for a full year yet. She has a loser boyfriend whose nickname is actually Loser Dave, a crappy job in the Flooring department, and it looks like her life is going nowhere fast. Now she's stuck in the rain, trying to hail a taxi, the night before her dad's funeral. Falling down the steps is the last thing she remembers until she wakes up in hospital and discovers that three whole years have gone by, a lot has changed - including the fact that she's acquired a rich and handsome husband - and she doesn't remember a single thing about any of it.

There's nothing original about the premise - there are lots of stories based on the idea of someone waking from an accident with amnesia, and finding everything different from how they remember it. With Kinsella, you just have to go with it. She's not the most versatile writer out there - if Lexi had an addiction to shopping her personality would have been identical to Rebecca Bloomwood - but despite that I found myself feeling highly sympathetic towards Lexi. The person she became three years ago in order to improve her life and save her family from ruin is completely alien to her - it would be like waking up and finding out an alien had taken possession of your body for three years. Lexi had become a career-driven bitch and lost her friends in order to become director of the flooring department; then she marries a real estate developer who wears loafers with tassels (I mean, if anything is designed to make me run away screaming, it would be shoes with tassels) and is anal about everything - and while it sounds at first that everything Lexi ever wanted she managed to achieve (including losing weight and getting her teeth fixed), it soon becomes apparent that the Lexi she became was also deeply miserable. It's sad, actually, and I can't call this "uplifting" or even very happy.

This won't take you more than an afternoon to read, and if you're in the mood for something completely distracting and engaging, I'd recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Remember Me?.