Kristin (MyBookishWays Reviews)'s Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Mira Grant

May 20, 11

bookshelves: scifi, horror, zombies, arc, for-early-review
Read from May 06 to 08, 2011

You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2011/05/...

I don’t want to live in the world that Mira Grant described in Feed, and now in Deadline.

I don’t want to live in a house that has tiny windows, so that anything about 40lbs can’t get through, or have to endure blood tests at every entry or exit.

I don’t want to never again experience the joy of an open air concert or festival.

I don’t want to not be able to offer comfort to a stranger by giving them a hug, or holding their hand.

I don’t want to live in a world where I might have to shoot someone I love to save them from a fate worse than death.

This is the world put forth by the author, and it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Almost 30 years after the cure for the common cold turned into hell on wheels, the world is still recovering from the devastation. Some parts of the world will never be reclaimed, and the effects of this disease roam the wilds, seeking to infect and feed. In Deadline, news blogger Shaun Mason is our narrator, and still hasn’t recovered from events that affected him and his team in the worst possible way. When a CDC doctor fakes her own death and shows up, asking for his help, all hell breaks loose…again. He’s now on a mission to uncover a vast government conspiracy that could affect the whole of humanity and will uncover secrets that will certainly change his life, and those he cares for, forever...and he has nothing to lose.

If you haven’t yet discovered this superb series by Mira Grant (aka Seanan McGuire), then you’re in for a wild ride. Feed and Deadline feature some of the best post-apocalyptic writing that I’ve read, hands down. Not just zombie books, these novels explore the nature of fear in all its forms and will take you on an emotional roller coaster that will haunt you for days after you’ve stopped reading. The characterizations are phenomenal, and the attention to detail is no less than it was in Feed. Sometimes it’s hard to follow up such amazing work, and sometimes second novels in a series suffer a bit. Not Deadline. It’s just as good as Feed, and you’ll find yourself plowing through this 600+ page novel in no time. I missed quite a bit of sleep finishing this one up. Was it worth it? Totally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead I am so jealous!!!!!!!!! This is one book I'd do alot of really bad things to get my hands on early! Lucky you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews) Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalker wrote: "I am so jealous!!!!!!!!! This is one book I'd do alot of really bad things to get my hands on early! Lucky you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!"

Michelle,
I'll be honest with you, I was shocked that Orbit sent it to me, lol! I requested it with my fingers crossed and hoped for the best:) Not too long now, though! It'll be out in a week or so. You'll love it!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Kristin wrote: "Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalker wrote: "I am so jealous!!!!!!!!! This is one book I'd do alot of really bad things to get my hands on early! Lucky you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!"

Michelle,
I'll b..."

It's not like I don't have a ton of books to keep me busy until then! LOL, I'm just so impatient with this one.

Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews) Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalker wrote: "Kristin wrote: "Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalker wrote: "I am so jealous!!!!!!!!! This is one book I'd do alot of really bad things to get my hands on early! Lucky you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!"
..."

I know exactly what you mean. Isn't it funny...I started the blog to help me get through my TBR pile, and it's only added to it!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Kristin wrote: "Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalker wrote: "Kristin wrote: "Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalker wrote: "I am so jealous!!!!!!!!! This is one book I'd do alot of really bad things to get my hands on ear..."

The more I read, the more I have to read. For every book I read, two more show up! LOL

Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews) Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalker wrote: "Kristin wrote: "Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalker wrote: "Kristin wrote: "Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalker wrote: "I am so jealous!!!!!!!!! This is one book I'd do alot of really bad things to get..."

I know, right? lol