Melanie's Reviews > Revenge of the Witch

Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney

Definitely a scary-spooky-horror book, at least in my definition. Not my usual cup of tea. I did have a hard time putting it down and walking away when a particular section or illustration made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Many people love that sensation. Me? Not so much. I don't read horror or scary books. But this one was great! And I'm going to have to read the rest of the series. I'll just sleep with the light on for awhile...

Tom Ward is the 13-year-old seventh son of a seventh son. As in most fantasy books, that makes him just a little different. In this book it means he has a gift for warding off and getting rid of witches, goblins, boggarts, ghosts and other creepy things. His mother knows this at his birth. So, also knowing that being the seventh son he wouldn't have many options in the world, she makes a deal with the local "spook" to take him on as apprentice when he's of age.

So when he does become old enough to become apprenticed, and Old Gregory, the aging spook, agrees to take him on, Tom finds that the life of a spook is lonely and just a little bit creepy. But he also finds that he does indeed have a knack for it. He's also the "learn as you go" kinda kid, and that makes for interesting reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revenge of the Witch.