Kristi's Reviews > The Red Hat Club Rides Again

The Red Hat Club Rides Again by Haywood Smith

Dec 27, 2010

bookshelves: family, friendship, heart-warming, humorous
Read from December 20 to 24, 2010

As the title of this book suggests this is the sequel to "The Red Hat Club", where the reader is reconnected with Diane, Linda, SuSu, Teeny, and Georgia.

These ladies, as before, are a delight to read. They originally met back when they were still in school, though then school didn't mean what it means now. Their school was teaching them how to behave as proper ladies, how to be good wives when they married, and all the skills they would need to lead a married life. However, as today that is not the way, the ladies have definitely learned a few things over the decades. However, their friendship has held strong.

Don't misunderstand, as with any friendship, they've had their trials and tribulations over the years. Some of those escapades are written about in the first book, and some more follow in this one. Don't worry you don't have to read the first in order to be able to follow along in the 2nd. Though I think it will make it more enjoyable if you do.

One of the escapades in this book is the rescue of their friend Pru, whom you meet very briefly in the first Red Hat Club book. She was friends with the ladies back in their school days, but life and bad decisions along the way, have caused a seperation between them. In this book, we get to see Pru again, and learn more about her life and the events that led her to where she is now.

In small doses, throughout the book, Haywood Smith leads you backwards into the past of these ladies, to give you a better foundation of their personalities and lives. Normally, for me, this is a writing technique that drives me crazy. I absolutely hate bouncing around in time. However, the visits to the past are brief, and they're not so frequent that you get confused. Also, Smith announces the time and location of the events at the beginning of each chapter, so it helps prepare you. There will be a chapter of the past, and then several chapters in the present, so as I said it's not so annoying or confusing.

I believe the part I like best about these ladies' friendship is The 12 Sacred Traditions. I found them to be insightful, humorous, and quite applicable. I think if more people followed these rules there might be a lot less strife in relationships.

I admire the Red Hats, and find them to be among my "idols" for what I'd love to have when I'm that age. I can only hope I find women who are as great as these 6!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Hat Club Rides Again.

12/22/2010 page 98