Kwesi 章英狮's Reviews > The Thief Lord

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke

Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: owned, cornelia-funke, 2011
Read from July 22 to 23, 2011

This book did not work well to me, Cornelia Funke gave me another headache after reading her Inkheart series which I thought will be one of my favorites since the movie was great. I did like the movie very much and I dug a hole 6 feet under for the whole series not be seen by my eyes again. Well, I think I broke one of the important rules of reading and watching book-tie-in stuff. I did watch the movie before the book so that made things worst but I was hoping not.

The last time I remember reading Cornelia Funke was when my mom go shopping in the nearby mall for 4 hours and I wait like a lap dog. Seriously, I'm very disappointed to Funke but I'm not yet done with her and I might try her other YA or children's books which will be nice raw (by reading reviews out of control).

When Prosper and Bo escaped from their cruel rich aunt they met this group of kids who helped and cared by the Thief Lord, which fed them and act like a grown man. Well, he was hoping to be a grown man unfortunately something horrible scene happened in the end. They met Barbarossa, the antique dealer, and they are asked to met with the Conte who only wish is to find a missing piece of one of his antique toys (quite big for a toy though) and so on.

Talking about the characters which one of them have their own different personalities and very interesting that Funke made 6 characters very well and very hard to familiarize each in the beginning of the story. Prosper and Bo, orphaned and living with their cruel aunt, and they escaped and found home in an old theater. Musca, the black boy who have love to water. Hornet, the reader and the only female in the band. She's quite a mother.

Riccio, sometimes called the weasle because of his, eeew, his ugly teeth! Lastly, Scipio, the Thief Lord and the one who acts as an adult in the pack (Alpha Dog). If I have the chance to become one of them, I might chose Prosper. He is a nice brother, caring but to possessive but I think he only protect his brother from their cruel relatives and of course safety. But I think my hopes will die along because they already made a movie!

I did expect a lot to this book since most of my friends really liked this book and the Inkheart series which I should not done before I started reading this book. This story is very unique, quite magical although there are not much of magical stuff inside and no popular book characters appeared. At least Cornelia Funke emphasize the city of Venice, how ancient, dark and historical the place is.

So far this is my 3rd book about Venice and I want more, hoping to go there soon, later in life. Jeez, don't think that I have to be 60 before I start traveling outside Philippines. The dark and childish aroma of this book is very fascinating for a young child, but not for me. Although I read a lot of children's books, this one is different, this one is more on adventure and deception. Kind of.

I recommend this book to those who love to read children's books and child at heart. Don't forget, this book was one of Cornelia Funke's best book and guys you have to read this. But until now, I'm still been sued by many conspiracy behind this book. This is not as good as any book I read but not bad enough to be like and enjoyed in a series of minutes. Enjoy reading and see you to Venice in no time!

The cast of the movie and Cornelia Funke. I don't have any idea where they took this photo but I can still remember the pigeon that mentioned in the story. The one that flew up high.

Review posted on Old-Fashioned Reader .

Rating: The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke, 3 Sweets

Challenges:
Book #203 for 2011
Book #119 for Off the Shelf!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief Lord.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Will aw, brings back memories nung highschool :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Ganun ba mas nauna pa pala to kaysa inkheart niya haha.

Will Yep, ninominate ko siya dati nung naghahanap ng Cornelia Funke na book, pero mas pinili nila Inkheart. hehe

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa I've only read the first book of "Inkheart," Kwesi, but I was disappointed in it too and didn't continue on. So I doubt I'll ever read this one. However, I'd love to go to Venice one day!

message 5: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Jul 23, 2011 08:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 Don't worry Teresa you are not the only one who did not like the Inkheart series and this is not as good as Inkheart so you might curse this forever after reading the book. Haha.

message 6: by Tintin (new)

Tintin A book set in Venice! Pangarap ko rin pumunta doon. Pero kung walang budget pang-Europe punta na lang tayong Macau, doon sa Venetian hehe XD

message 7: by Rollie (new)

Rollie Baka sabihin mong galit ako kaya magcomment na ako. I'll try this one kasi sabi mo best book niya. Haha. Btw, nagbabasa ako ng review! adik!

message 8: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Jul 23, 2011 09:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 @Rollie: Lol, I was joking that time. Anyway, hoping you that you would like this book. Tamah na ba grammar ko?

@Tin: Haha, invite me when you have enough money for two. *cough* Is the Macau thing true or joke? Haha.

message 9: by Rollie (new)

Rollie @Kwesi: Bakit ako tinatanong mo sa grammar? haha

Kwesi 章英狮 @Rollie: Because you know (know ba o knew?) a lot about grammar.

message 11: by Rollie (new)

Rollie Ang adik naman. know ata. tanungin mo sa Alona. Haha. Natatakot ako magcorrect kasi minsan mali din ako.

Kwesi 章英狮 @Rollie: Humble si kuya. Haha.

message 13: by Rollie (new)

Rollie Wow ang bait. As if totoo. haha

Kwesi 章英狮 @Rollie: Totoo naman a. Haha.

message 15: by Rollie (new)

Rollie May mabait bang parati akong inaaway? Haha. Buti nalang di kumampi sa'yo si Joyzi kahapon. Kasi baka sinapak ko na kayong dalawa pag nagkataon.

Kwesi 章英狮 @Rollie: Haha, weh? First time ka lang kasi na meet ni Joyzi eh. Hehe. Soft muna, next time naman.

message 17: by Rollie (new)

Rollie Ah ganun ba? Pagsecond time awayin na niya ako? Haha. Btw, tulog muna ako. 4AM na ako nakatulog e. Nitez. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 @Rollie: Okay.

Nancy Don't wait till you're 60 to travel, Kwesi. My mom always says the "golden" years are not so golden. I gave this book three stars also. It was OK, but I haven't felt a need to continue with the rest of the series.

Jackson S Personally I thought that this book was great! But I am not judging you I am just saying.

message 21: by Shad (new) - added it

Shad Do you thing I should read it? Cause I bought it already!

message 22: by Luna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Luna Lovegood First of all, Riccio is called the hedgehog> not the weasel, and it's because of his hair, and in my opinion, the Inkheart movie wasn't very good- I liked the cast and most of everything else, but they messed with the plot so they probably won't be able to make a second movie, which is probably why they haven't...