Ben's Reviews > The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

May 20, 2007

bookshelves: bestever, good-as-audiobook
Read in May, 2007

I *lived* this book during the month or so that I was listening to it. When I picked it up, I was expecting period fluff, but really it's actually as substantial as it is, in my brother's words, a "rip-roaring" tale. Dumas is the French Robert Louis Stevenson, and just as good... if not better.

You should read this book because it's that good, but it's also worth noting that it contains some of the classic tropes that have become cliched staples of far too many adventure plots to count -- the prisoner scratching days into the wall, the supercilious and rich man of mystery... it's all in there.

Postscript: I am adding a star and moving this into my best ever category. Although the book has faults (looking back, some aspects of how the revenge plot unfurls don't age so well), I was so enthralled while reading it that I cannot treat it with less respect, all the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Count of Monte Cristo.

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dolitzky Hurray for you for bringing this good old classic forward. It's generally considered passe; which is a shame. The characters are dimensional, the descriptions highly visual, and the narrative moves right along. Having characters that we like to identfy with makes it completely engrossing.