Tiffoknee the 3rd Conner's Reviews > A Reader on Reading

A Reader on Reading by Alberto Manguel

Nov 30, 10

Read in November, 2010

Alberto Manguel is someone I would love to have a glass of wine with, so long as we can sit, sip, and dip into our mutual love of reading. My whole life I have been considered "odd" because of my love for reading and the written word, but when I read Manguel I feel comfortable. I know that I am not alone. As a child I spent many a summer vacation squirreled away indoors with books while the rest of my family went swimming, played outside, or was planted before the television. Perhaps I avoided the outdoors because I knew, even then, of my deep hatred for the sun and heat of Texas summers (something which would eventually plant the seeds for my distaste for Texas in general, but that's another story). Even today I own a deeper preference for books over people. They are the truest friends I have ever known.

When you read Alberto Manguel you know you are reading the words of a man whose passions and appreciations are simple, but deeply held. He does not love a thing for the thing's sake, which is the mistake many of my family make when they observe my love for books and reading. It is more than that. There is in my love for books and words a communion, a very real, visceral relationship which helps to keep me sane and connected to the few parts of myself worth loving. Even as my hope fades in the face of life's disappointments, persistent adversity, and that most unsympathetic of villains, time, I am forever in love with the word. There is power in words, books, and ideas, I will believe this until my dying day. Manguel knows this as well and he writes of it with unrivaled intelligence, wit, and loyalty.

I recommend any of his books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Reader on Reading.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nawrast (new) - added it

Nawrast thank you for your reivew of Manguel books. I am reading " A history of reading" and feel exactly as you said.

Tiffoknee the 3rd Conner Nawrast wrote: "thank you for your reivew of Manguel books. I am reading " A history of reading" and feel exactly as you said."

Manguel is one of my favorite authors. I adore his work. And "A History of Reading" is what got me started, ever since then, I have been hooked.