Rosy's Reviews > Mr. Peanut

Mr. Peanut by Adam Ross

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from January 19 to February 04, 2011

A quote from the real Dr. Sam Sheppard opens the book in the epigraph, "I became or thought that I was disoriented and the victim of a bizarre dream." An appropriate beginning, prophetic for the journey the reader is about to undergo with this novel - a story within a story about marriage, murder, the search for a connection, the disconnect between who you think you are and how others perceive you. Certainly it is how I felt when I finished this dizzying book, and I loved every second of it.

David Pepin dreams of murdering his wife, until one day she is dead, and he is the suspect. Investigating him are Detectives Sheppard (a reimagined version of the real Dr. Sam Sheppard) and Hastroll, themselves having been victimized by long term, difficult, complicated marriages to Marilyn and Hannah, respectively. Also making an appearance is an odd contract killer befittingly named Mobius.

While I'm tempted to write effusively about this novel, I feel it would do the reader an injustice to know too much about it beforehand. The novel goes around and around all over itself, much like the non-orientable mobius strip constantly referenced.

But I will say this - this novel haunted and affected me deeply. I found myself identifying with characters and situations, so much so that I actually missed my subway stop. By the end I was questioning what parts were really real and what were just part of the story. And doesn't marriage feel like that sometimes? After years, decades of being together, your recollections both fuzzy, isn't it hard to tell what really happened and what was just told for the purpose of selling the anecdote?
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Peanut.