Hrandall's Reviews > The Prophet of Yonwood

The Prophet of Yonwood by Jeanne DuPrau

U 50x66
Nov 26, 2010

it was ok

Having previously read DuPrau's "The City of Ember" and "The People of Sparks" and thoroughly enjoying both, I was really looking forward to reading "The Prophet of Yonwood" and I had very high expectations for the third book! However, I was very disappointed.
I found all the characters in "The Prophet of Yonwood" to be quite flat and the storyline was random and unrelated to Ember. I was eager to find out the history of Ember and the Builders, as this is the prequel to the series, but it actually had nothing to do with the creation of Ember, except for the last chapter- maybe 15 pages or so. The story also leaves the reader with many questions and cliffhangers- but absolutely not in a good way. DuPrau will begin to discuss one topic, such as Nickie's grandfather's journal or the ghost in the bedroom, but we never do get an explanation. Many characters, like Hoyt McCoy, are also undeveloped and leave you wondering why they were even needed in the story in the first place.
Overall, a very disappointing book. I had high hopes for the "Ember" prequel, but nearly every element of the story- characters, plot, setting- fell flat and left me confused, let down, and unsatisfied.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophet of Yonwood.