Fünkchen's Reviews > Speak

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

U_50x66
Nov 26, 10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak.

Quotes Fünkchen Liked

Laurie Halse Anderson
“When people don't express themselves, they die one piece at a time.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“It's easier to floss with barbed wire than admit you like someone in middle school.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“You have to know what you stand for, not just what you stand against.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“It's easier not to say anything. Shut your trap, button your lip, can it. All that crap you hear on TV about communication and expressing feelings is a lie. Nobody really wants to hear what you have to say.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“Art without emotion its like chocolate cake without sugar. It makes you gag.”
tags: art

Laurie Halse Anderson
“I have survived. I am here. Confused, screwed up, but here. So, how can I find my way? Is there a chain saw of the soul, an ax I can take to my memories or fears?”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“Homework is not an option. My bed is sending out serious nap rays. I can't help myself. The fluffy pillows and warm comforter are more powerful than I am. I have no choice but to snuggle under the covers.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“I wonder how long it would take for anyone to notice if I just stopped talking.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“I have never heard a more eloquent silence.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“I am getting better at smiling when people expect it.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“Sometimes I think high school is one long hazy activity: if you are tough enough to survive this, they'll let you become an adult. I hope it's worth it.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“Mr. Freeman sighs. "No imagination. What are you thirteen? Fourteen? You've already let them beat your creativity out of you!”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“Who cares what the color means? How do you know what he meant to say? I mean, did he leave another book called "Symbolism in My Books?" If he didn't, then you could just be making all of this up. Does anyone really think this guy sat down and stuck all kinds of hidden meanings into his story? It's just a story.... But I think you are making all of this symbolism stuff up. I don't believe any of it.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“There is something about Christmas that requires a rug rat. Little kids make Christmas fun. I wonder if could rent one for the holidays. When I was tiny we would by a real tree and stay up late drinking hot chocolate and finding just the right place for the special decorations. It seems like my parents gave up the magic when I figured out the Santa lie. Maybe I shouldn't have told them I knew where the presents really came from. It broke their hearts.

I bet they'd be divorced by now if I hadn't been born. I'm sure I was a huge disappointment. I'm not pretty or smart or athletic. I'm just like them- an ordinary drone dressed in secrets and lies. I can't believe we have to keep playacting till I graduate. It's a shame we just can't admit that we have failed at family living, sell the house, split up the money, and get on with our lives. Merry Christmas.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“Why not spend that time on art: painting, sculpting, charcoal, pastel, oils? Are words or numbers more important than images? Who decides this? Does algebra move you to tears? Can plural possessives express the feelings in your heart? If you don't learn art now, you will never learn to breathe!”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“Can the plural possessive express the feelings in your heart? If you don't learn art now, you will never learn to breathe!”

“be aggressive, BE-BE Aggressive! B-E
A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“IT happened. There is no avoiding it, no forgetting. No running away, or flying, or burying, or hiding.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“Mr. Freeman: You are getting better at this, but it's not good enough. This looks like a tree,but it is an average, ordinary, everyday, boring tree. Breathe life into it. Make it bend - trees are flexible, so they don't snap. Scar it, give it a twisted branch - perfect trees don't exist. Nothing is perfect. Flaws are interesting. Be the tree.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“All that crap you hear on TV about communication and expressing feelings is a lie. Nobody really wants to hear what you have to say.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“She turns to us, acts surprised to see us, then does the bit with the back of the hand to the forehead. "You're lost!" "You're angry!" "You're in the wrong school!" "You're in the wrong country!" "You're on the wrong planet!”