Antof9's Reviews > Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone by James Daugherty

Dec 10, 10

bookshelves: 2010-read, americana, animals, dated, kidlit, liberry, read-the-newberys, southern, unfulfilling
Read from November 26 to December 09, 2010

This book was just "meh". I didn't hate it -- possibly because it really didn't draw that much passion from me. Actually, the thing I felt strongest about was the illustrations. Really not a fan.

I did get a little excited when "the little cavalcade of refugees wound its way sadly north to Culpeper, Virginia." That town is about < -- > this big, and it's where my mother-in-law is from. I've even been there once! So that part was interesting. Who'd have thought it a big enough place to merit a mention in the Daniel Boone story?

Mostly though, this book was just a sort of recitation of activities in a surprisingly matter-of-fact voice. Thus, when talking about "savages" scalping people or the "red man" conducting raids on the fort, it's surprisingly dry and uninteresting. I suppose that for children, it's less bloody and gruesome, but I'm not sure this was better. In fact, now that I think of it, Caddie Woodlawn was better done than this. Sad.

The part I liked best was when the settlers elected a representative for the Virginia Assembly: He listened patiently to [his wife], which was unusual, when she told him to remember his manners and not to eat with his knife. He kissed his tall daughters good-by, mounted his handsome Kentucky mare, and rode down to Richmond feeling more embarrassed and uncomfortable than if he had been captured by Indians.

Of course, immediately after reading "not to eat with his knife", I asked myself, "he has daughters?", which just goes to show how poorly this book covers him. I never saw a complete list of all of his offspring (dead or alive), and that in particular bothered me.

So there you have it: I didn't like the illustrations, the author managed to make the settling of Kentucky mundane, and the best part was Daniel's wife telling him not to eat with a knife.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daniel Boone.

12/08/2010 page 17
18.0% "Love, love, love saying "Allegheny and Monongahela"."

message 1: by Deena (new)

Deena Your dedication to this project is impressive. I would have had to draw the line here.

message 2: by Antof9 (new) - added it

Antof9 Fortunately, they're quick books to read and are easy to get through even if I don't like them. I had a really hard time starting this one because both of the other girls said they didn't like it! LOL

message 3: by Deena (new)

Deena I had a really hard time starting this one because both of the other girls said they didn't like it!..."

And then I had to come along and not make it easier!!

message 4: by Antof9 (new) - added it

Antof9 hee hee! It's ok -- I'm more than halfway through now so it'll go quickly :)

message 5: by Deena (new)

Deena Antof9 wrote: "hee hee! It's ok -- I'm more than halfway through now so it'll go quickly :)"

I'm still pretty sure I couldn't do it in this case, so I'm still impressed by your perseverance.

message 6: by Antof9 (new) - added it

Antof9 You're sweet :)

message 7: by Deena (new)

Deena I suspect that the real reason it's so dry and mundane is because a lot of the "real" story would not be very complimentary... even by the standards of the time when it was written.

message 8: by Antof9 (new) - added it

Antof9 I suspect that your suspicion is correct.

message 9: by Deena (new)

Deena I was pretty proud of myself for not going off about it while you were still reading!! (I really do try not to inflict my profession on my friends...)

message 10: by Antof9 (new) - added it

Antof9 Silly girl! I like the perspective that your profession gives :)

message 11: by Deena (new)

Deena I'm glad - but I do still think it's more polite (or considerate or something) for me to wait until you're done. Lots of people are quite capable of enjoying or appreciating something in "ignorant bliss' that might be spoiled if they could see the flaws... if I keep my mouth shut, however temporarily, then I'm less like to accidentally spoil something.

message 12: by Antof9 (new) - added it

Antof9 I agree and you're sweet to care. And yes, it's appreciated that you (or anyone else) don't spoil it during the reading :)

I totally spoiled something for someone recently, misunderstanding which book of a series she was reading. I felt AWFUL!

message 13: by Deena (new)

Deena Then you get nuts like me, who like to know the ending first! (That's the fault of graduate school, which tuaght me "surgical reading," and I really do read the last page before reading a whole book. It's very sad, really.)

message 14: by Antof9 (new) - added it

Antof9 I have a few friends who do that! I could NEVER :)

message 15: by bookczuk (new)

bookczuk I know Culpepper! (And I now have you to thank for my current earworm.

Daniel Boone was a man,
Yes, a big man!
With an eye like an eagle
And as tall as a mountain was he!

...From the coonskin cap on the top of ol' Dan
To the heel of his rawhide shoe;
The rippin'est, roarin'est, fightin'est man
The frontier ever knew!

How sad is it that I know the whole theme song and have only subjected you to a smidge?

message 16: by Lize (new)

Lize Bookczuk wrote: "I know Culpepper! (And I now have you to thank for my current earworm.

Daniel Boone was a man,
Yes, a big man!
With an eye like an eagle
And as tall as a mountain was he!

...From the coonskin ca..."

OMG, I can't believe you posted that. I started singing that in my own head when I read the book title! Are we both showing our age? And can we sing about my relative, Davy Crockett, next? ;)

message 17: by bookczuk (new)

bookczuk You're related to the king of the wild frontier?!!

message 18: by Lize (new)

Lize I am! On my Mama's side. I think he's the only famous person in my family tree.

message 19: by Antof9 (new) - added it

Antof9 1. I know the Daniel Boone song, and it got stuck in my head every time I looked at that dumb book
2. I know the Davy Crockett song too, and that has also been stuck in my head because frankly, these two men are rather interchangeable ... in my head.
3. I'm related to General Custer.

Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee...