Kate 's Reviews > The Darlings are Forever

The Darlings are Forever by Melissa Kantor

Jan 07, 11

Read from January 01 to 05, 2011

THE DARLINGS ARE FOREVER, by Melissa Kantor, is definitely a girl-bonding book. Three best gal pals from New York City are entering high school, at three different schools. They make a promise that their friendship won't change, but without each other they are forced to find who they are as individuals. They encounter cliques, boys, and the desire to fit in.

Honestly in after the first chapter I didn't think I would like this book. I have an issue when too many characters are introduced in a book right away. I was confused who was who and what school they went to, etc. But after a few chapters, the girls started to veer off into their own mold in my head. I loved the structure of the book with each chapter being from one of the girl's POV, and Kantor left each chapter at a teetering point so I was anxious to get back that side of the story.

I was definitely surprised at this book and I am so happy I got the chance to read it. I felt these girls were so perfect for each other because they all had a special fit inside their exclusive trio. And although they were young, I didn't feel like Kantor was 'dumbing them down' to be silly teenage girls, they were really a joy to experience in their actually mature ways.

Along the line of being individuals were the girl's crushes. I enjoyed reading about how these boys in their lives would change the dynamic of the group. I have to say Colin and Jack were my favorites. Colin was absolutely an adorable nerd and I wanted Natalya to embrace that side of herself too. Then there's Jack (swoon) the artistic and charismatic boy that Victoria loved to pretend to hate. That's all I'm saying about that.

This book is a great story for women at any age. The friendships, fights, and romances that ensue will warm your heart and keep you wanting more.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darlings are Forever.