Erin's Reviews > Tell Me a Secret

Tell Me a Secret by Holly Cupala

Nov 30, 10

Read from November 26 to 30, 2010

I had assumptions when I picked up Tell me a Secret by Holly Cupala. I guess it had been a while since I read all the reviews for this book and of course I didn’t read the back cover because I had heard so many positive reviews that I knew I just wanted to read it. Needless to say, I was surprised by the contents of this book. Rand, the main character, has a lot of issues to deal with throughout the course of the story. Just to name a few, she’s dealing with her sister’s death from 5 years ago, her mother is a little bit off her rocker and way too controlling and her father is absent, she’s almost positive her new best friend is trying to steal her boyfriend, plus she hasn’t had a period in 3 months and she thinks her old best friend is telling people she’s pregnant.
That’s a whole lot to deal with if you ask me. This book started off a little slow for me, but once I passed about page 100 everything started to pick up pace and it really start to dig into the depths of this novel and let me tell you, it had depths that I never imagined it would get to. Which is probably the reason that I enjoyed this novel so much. You really have to read it yourself to understand what I mean when I say, this novel was full insight, self-discovery, and is a long road to forgiving people for all the things that they did when they thought they were doing the right thing, but it wasn’t exactly the best course of decisions.
I had problems with how easily this book ended because nearly all of the people that surrounded Rand neglected her in her time of most need and as the book began to close they suddenly morphed into decent human beings. I understand it, mostly, but I would have liked to see more of the change in some of the characters. That’s really the only complaint that I have about this book. I really enjoyed reading this story, it is a terrific debut novel and I am looking forward to seeing what else Holly Cupala will come up with and if this book is any indication of what is to come, I can’t wait for more stories with depth that will surprise me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tell Me a Secret.

11/29/2010 page 178
70.0% "This is kind of a heart breaking story so far."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Great review! I've had my eye on this book for a while too. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.:)