Tara's Reviews > Visions of Sugar Plums

Visions of Sugar Plums by Janet Evanovich

Dec 02, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, mystery-suspense, audio-book
Read from November 30 to December 02, 2010

Well, this book review is mostly tainted by the person that read the book since I listen to this series on audio.

I'll start with the story. It was an ok story although the addition of a supernatural element was more than a little strange in what has been a reality-ish based series for the 8 previous books. And the addition of yet another man that's attracted to Stephanie is becoming ridiculous. I mean every hot man that enters the series becomes a potential love interest. Doesn't she ever have men that she thinks are hot that don't want to sleep with her too? I think it will be interesting to see how much of this book will continue into the regular series.

My biggest was with the narration. It's like changing an actor mid-series. Like the two Becky's on Roseanne. Sarah Chalke is a great actor but she wasn't Becky. That's how I felt about Lorelei King. I've listened to 7 books read by CJ Critt, so her characterizations are familiar. Her Joe, her Lula, even her Stephanie were different, but not bad. But Kloughn and Grandma Mazur were the worst. They were so different it was jarring.

On to book 9. There's an option for CJ Critt or Lorelei King for the next 2 books, and I'm hanging on desperately to Critt.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Visions of Sugar Plums.

12/01/2010
12/01/2010
33.0% "I really don't like this narrator's take on the characters, especially grandma mazur. I miss CJ Critt."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel Oh yes: Becky-gate! I know what you mean!

Tara LOL!