Jim's Reviews > You Cannot Live as I Have Lived and Not End Up Like This

You Cannot Live as I Have Lived and Not End Up Like This by Terence Blacker

Nov 26, 10

bookshelves: autobiography
Read in August, 2008

I started this thinking “Who was Willie Donaldson?” and was enticed by the promise of a tale of wit, sex, drugs and London in the swinging sixties as seen through the eyes and experience of one of its most colourful characters. I didn’t get it. What I got was what felt like an insider’s nudge nudge, do-you-know-what (who) -he’s-doing-now type of an affair, where the biographer was too close to the subject to be really salacious or spiteful. Half way through and I still hadn’t a clue who the guy was and what made him attract the attentions and people that he did (Carly Simon looked worth one all the same). Worse, I could care less. He was a ponce, in a kind of Carry On film way, a drug addict, but who in media London wasn’t, an eccentric and an oddity, but I couldn’t warm to him much. So, on running for a taxi early on a Monday morning, I spent a frantic two minutes searching the bookshelves for something to get my teeth into and thanked my selection of John Le Carre for providing it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Cannot Live as I Have Lived and Not End Up Like This.