Valerie Long's Reviews > Fanny Hill, or Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure

Fanny Hill, or Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland

Dec 22, 2010

Read from November 26 to December 22, 2010

Once in a while I love to read something different. This book is different in many ways. First, the setting is some centuries back, which leads me to a rather different society with its own morale rules.
Second, the language is different. Each word is familiar, but this way to put them together is funny. Oh, I shouldn't get caught writing such run-on-sentences by my editor! And yet I love it.
Third, the approach is different. It's first person narrative, yes, but in letter style, with one addressed recipient. That's unusual today.
Fourth, the content. Of course it's not exactly YA, it's rather juicy and frank - but unobtrusively so. It all comes across very naturally, relaxedly. Yes, it's about nonreproductive intercourse. But, well, that's part of our reality and has been for millenia.
And in the end morale and true love win over indiscriminate pleasure - what else can you demand?

Read it, and then cherish love and passion in a way that suits you and your ethical standards.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fanny Hill, or Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure.