Jim's Reviews > The Winter of Frankie Machine

Nov 26, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: crime
Read in July, 2008

Oh dear, the difficult third album. This read like a series of short stories cobbled together to make a book, and a half-baked book at that. My main problem with it was that the author seemed to want to make the eponymous lead some sort of admirable, almost moral, guy. As he goes around torturing and snuffing out bad guys, cheating on his wife, killing life-long friends etc. etc.. Of course this is all justified because he’s in The Life, this Thing of Ours, and that’s the road it leads you down. In the end, the very end, in an Epilogue actually, we realise Frankie gets away with all of it to live on Hawaii with a wonderful life and a plot shot full of holes behind him. I’m afraid I don’t buy it, didn’t like it and was disappointed because Winslow is one of the stalwart authors on my bookshelves, or so I thought. It reminded me that, with the move to York next week, I may have to next reach for a real stalwart to welcome us back to the soft light and warm pubs of Yorkshire - letting Morse lead me back into the land of believable make-believe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter of Frankie Machine.