Cathleen's Reviews > Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Dec 31, 10

Read from November 26 to December 31, 2010

Okay, so at first my review read "It's as good as everyone says," but that made me itchy after I posted it. It really was good, but I'd heard SO much about Persepolis that I'm not sure it was possible for it to live up to the buzz. To tell you the truth, rarely does anyone say WHY Persepolis is so great; they just say it is.

As an American woefully ignorant of world history (though I do try not to be) I found the story interesting, but I'll admit that it was a bit difficult to follow at times. I know that admission will instantly brand me a neanderthal, but I'm also sure that I'm not the only one. I'm not suggesting that Satrapi should have considered my ignorance; I'm simply relaying my experience with the book. At the same time, I guess I was expecting the book to be more political.

I'm being nitpicky, but that is what happens when so much hype surrounds a book. Overall, I really enjoyed the story, and I'm determined to use it in my teaching. The subject is important -- both specific AND universal -- and Satrapi's illustrations are great.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persepolis.