Audrey's Reviews > Samantha's Boxed Set

Samantha's Boxed Set by Valerie Tripp

Nov 25, 10

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction, o-children
Read in January, 1992

Everybody wanted to be Samantha. Samantha was the most glamorous of the American Girls - a wealthy, well-dressed orphan who lived in a hugeass Victorian house (with servants) with her grandmother whom she called "Grandmary". She had a hot uncle who drove a jalopy and a hot soon-to-be aunt named Cornelia. One of Samantha's "adventures" was hiding her poor Irish immigrant child laborer friend in the attic. Samantha had a shiny brass lunchbox and ate glamorous things (well, to a seven-year-old) like watercress sandwiches and deviled eggs. Samantha's summer outfit was this, which I remember coveting ever so badly. Still do. Sigh.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Samantha's Boxed Set.

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 10: by Joanna (new)

Joanna didn't the publishers get rid of her recently?

Audrey I dunno, did the publishers get rid of her too? I thought it was just her doll that got discontinued.

message 8: by Joanna (new)

Joanna yeah it is the doll. too bad cause she was the only one i was ever interested in

Audrey i liked felicity the best, for some reason. it looks like the kirsten doll was discontinued too

message 6: by Joanna (new)

Joanna GODDAMN it. she was the swedish one yes? she was the one I liked after Samantha. WTF. i bet they did that so when they come back as "limited editions" we all come buy them the fuckers

Audrey yes, she was the swedish one. haha, it's a conspiracy. :P did you ever get any of the dolls? people are making big bux selling the pre-mattel ones.

message 4: by Joanna (new)

Joanna no, it was never my thing but i do remember my bestest grade school friend Connie getting a Samantha. And I do remember a lot of girls in my girl scout troop liking them so we would do some american girl themed stuff. never really got into it. busy being completely obsessed with goosebumps :p

Audrey ahh, goosebumps. i read those too but i was more into the mundane girly book series, as a kid, like the babysitters club and sweet valley twins. i didn't get into a lot of those ya horror books, like the ones by christopher pike.

message 2: by Joanna (new)

Joanna CHRISTOPHER PIKE! God I ate those books up. I love how his last vampire series is at target again, which I've never read actually but i want to read it. Oh they're so good! I still remember them. The serial killer one (my favorite!), the goddess one, the ghost one. I really, really admire that he took his pen name from Star Trek.

Audrey he took his pen name from star trek? that's awesome.