Lars's Reviews > Containment

Containment by Christian Cantrell

Nov 26, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in November, 2010

Considering the content of the book, I don't want to say much in order to avoid giving a spoiler. The author describes a colony on Venus and the difficulties the settlers have to deal with. To begin with the positive aspects: one of the biggest assets of the novel is discussing interesting technologies like terraforming, cloud computing and genetic engineering. I really liked the questions Cantrell brought up, as some of the issues are of concern even today. On the other hand, the technical focus is the cause of some dissapointments, as the author doesn't perform very well in combining the technological and the human factor.

I think that the main characters are described adequate, but for me, they weren't brought to life very successful. For example I couldn't see the emotional bond of main character Arik to his wife and his unborn child. The other colonists are featured even more scarcely, so the whole scenery is somehow brittle and lacking of emotion. So in the end, Containment is a mixture of a technical discussion and a shortstory which is ok done, but can't be compared to outstanding SF-authors like Heinlein, Asimov or Alastair Reynolds. I liked the book, but that's it. Won't stay in my mind for a long time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Containment.