Dawn Buffham-Bates's Reviews > Sabra Zoo

Sabra Zoo by Mischa Hiller

Nov 29, 10

Read in November, 2010

This book has had me gripped from start to finish. It's not a thriller or suspense, just a well written book about life in Lebanon before, during and after the Sabra massacre. Written as a novel, it makes what happened more palatable for those who only like to think of these things happening in some distant land of make believe. For those that are prepared to acknowledge that these things do happen in the real world, you will not be disappointed. Dispelling many myths about the people of Lebanon, as well as painting a picture of Lebanon, it had me chuckling and feeling deep empathy.

I know Lebanon, and I love it as a country. I love the people and their resilience. I understand the politics to the degree that those of us outside the political arena can do; and yet picturing the streets, the beaches and the sunsets mentioned in this book, had me back there in Lebanon with family in the various locations dotted across the country, seeing the bullet holes in the buildings - some patched up, others not; feeling that nervous feeling at the checkpoints simple because it was a checkpoint with soldiers and guns - big guns; seeing brand new roads and bridges which had only just been completed after the latest round of bombing, seeing the rubble of the bombings being used to make sea defences, and new hillsides to add to the varied landscape. The ability to paint a picture that Mishca has was intensified for me because of my knowledge of Lebanon, but don't think for a moment that my knowledge takes away from Mishca's ability. A very talented author, and a great first novel!

This book is well written and will have all audiences hooked. If it doesn't hook you, then I don't know what will.... Mills and Boon maybe? Enjoy it folks, I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sabra Zoo.