Hendel's Reviews > The Buntline Special

Jan 07, 11

liked it
bookshelves: own
Read from January 05 to 07, 2011

I had to buy this for the cover art alone (that, and the promise of a Mike Resnick weird west story). It's a short/fast read that hits enough of the right notes to qualify for the genre niche (both zombie and vampire shootists, check, mecha-bordello, check, cyborg Edison, check) though there's nary a zeppelin in sight nor a wisp of steam, at least that I noticed. I enjoyed the Johnny Ringo/Doc Holliday thread, and the exchanges between Doc & Kate, but Doc has always been my favorite Tombstone character anyway.

I liked Buntline well enough, but it wasn't the something special I'd hoped for from Resnick. Maybe part of the problem is how closely the plot stuck (zombie, vampire, and robo-tarts notwithstanding) to the established OK Corral history, so that the only novelty was the weird west overlay on top. Maybe at some point he'll try the same flavor tale with an original set of characters, which will give him the freedom to do more than he did here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Buntline Special.