Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Smokin' Seventeen

Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich

Aug 15, 14

liked it
bookshelves: books-read-2011, cops, bounty-hunter, genre-mystery, humor, read-audio-books, dropped-series
Read from June 22 to 25, 2011

3.5 Stars

This review was posted at Under The Covers

I am both highly disappointed and happy about this book. As far as storylines go, I was glad to see a little bit of a different feel to the chasing skips we get with every Plum book lately. And there are three people trying to kill Stephanie. The skips are crazy as usual, there's an old guy who thinks is a vampire and sleeps in a coffin at the funeral home, the sleezy guy who always seems to have a boner. The humor and inventiveness was back!

Stephanie is still just as clueless as to what to do. The bail bonds office was burned down previously so they are working out of Mooner's bus. Mooner! He was truly hilarious! I never get tired of reading his lines. And then Vinny, the slimeball, decides to advertise by making flyers with a picture of Lula and Stephanie, dressed provocatively, and of course digitally altering Stephanie's breasts. And if that's not embarrassing enough, the same picture is blown up and painted on the outside of the bus! Can't miss them now!

And Lula. I love Lula. She's always wearing crazy outfits, tasering people, and just plain getting in trouble when there shouldn't have been any!

SPOILERS AHEAD

Now onto my complains. I drool over Ranger as the next girl does. However, Stephanie just PISSED ME OFF. She is sorta dating Morelli. They agree to an "open" relationship. And then Stephanie thinks Morelli grandma puts a spell on her that makes her horny all the time, and the first thing she does.... JUMPS RANGERS BONES! Now... normally I would be all for jumping his bones, but not when she's dating Morelli, AND if that's not bad enough, the day after shagging Ranger she has sex with Morelli. And then she goes on a job with Ranger and wants to have sex with him again in his Porsche. What The Hell? When did Stephanie turned into a whore who doesn't care about anyone's feelings?

Morelli doesn't find out, but he's been on excellent behavior. And Ranger, why would he accept this behavior and just be content with getting Stephanie's scraps? They both deserve better than her at this point.

Then there's the Plum family. They are a train wreck, a circus, a comedy show! Stephanie's mom is trying to fix her up with some other guy who apparently went to school with her. He's turned out to be a bit of a loser, but her mom has given up hope on Morelli, so she's trying for another guy. Thank God Stephanie is not interested in bachelor #3. Her mom goes back to ironing.

I suspected who the killer was early on, so I was not surprised at all when we find out at the end. I was not expecting the motives. This guy was nutso!

I really wanted to see a resolution with Stephanie's love life in this book. I've come this far in the series, so I'll def read the next one, because at this point, I have to know what happens on principle. But I don't agree with the authors perspective of dragging out the love triangle until the last book of the series. Believe me, you wouldn't lose readers by letting Stephanie make a choice. You might gain back some you lost. We all still enjoy the humor in these books, we just want Stephanie to mature and stop acting the way she has been and not drag around two wonderful guys. If she has such a problem deciding, I'll take one off her hands *cough* Ranger *cough*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smokin' Seventeen.

06/23/2011
46.0% "I'm happy so far the third guy really is no romantic interest!"
06/23/2011
49.0% "OMG That didn't just happen!" 24 comments

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Is the love triangle still going strong?

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) YES!!! But wait... there's a new guy getting introduced in this one! I didn't meet him yet, just know it's an old school buddy. *please put me out of my misery*

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine For the love of God! That's why I quit reading the series. I couldn't take the frustration and the lack of respect for Stephanie anymore. I always keep an eye out to see if it'll ever end, though. I'd probably pick it back up if she would stop that crap.

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) She's having commitment issues right now! At this point I don't care which one she picks, either one, just pick one! LOL But I keep coming back, I'm determined to see an end to this!

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine That's what I say! I may not like one of them, but I don't care anymore. I just want it to end.

message 6: by Ren (new)

Ren Yesterday I know from Twitter, this series have a longest triangle love ever! Wow! O.O

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen I loved this series to start but now it is just totally unreal. I mean who in the world could think that two alpha males like Ranger and Morelli would put up with that crap for this long?

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) Jen, that I will never understand. Neither one of them pressure her at all! Imppssible. And Ren, this might be the longest. Its crazy!

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen I got a sense of pressure at the very beginning, from Morelli. But then it seemed he just didn't care as much anymore. I want my men to WANT to be with the woman.

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) Morelli still gets upset but doesn't push the issue, and Ranger just takes what's offered. I have hopes maybe in this book there'll be a resolution.

message 11: by Kristie (new)

Kristie Is this seris good? I haven't read it.

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) I would say up until book 12 I was a fan. They're really funny. After that.... well....

message 13: by Kristie (new)

Kristie I will check it out. Thanks!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I have never heard ofthis series. O.O weird.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen Fran- Do you have a choice? I have always been a Morelli girl.

Annie/Kristie- These are more chick lit than romance. At least, IMO.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Oh...then I won't read it. not really my thing. Thanks Jen :)

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) I go back and forth. Morelli most of the time though. Ranger has his sexy moments though, but I can't see him making her happy long term.

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Francesca ~*~ Eyelet Ecstasy ~*~ wrote: "Morelli still gets upset but doesn't push the issue, and Ranger just takes what's offered. I have hopes maybe in this book there'll be a resolution."

I always found that sad. I grew to dislike Morelli, but I still feel bad for both of them for taking scraps.

message 19: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Francesca ~*~ Eyelet Ecstasy ~*~ wrote: "I would say up until book 12 I was a fan. They're really funny. After that.... well...."

That was the turning point for me as well. Twelve was the last book I really enjoyed.

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) There was one book that I didn't like Morelli, bc he didn't want her to work as a bounty hunter (not appropiate for a girl, etc). But he's back to being a good puppy dog and taking what she wants to give. It is sad.

message 21: by Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) (last edited Jun 23, 2011 10:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) Have any of you read Wicked Appetite (The Unmentionables, #1) by Janet Evanovich that's her new paranormal series with what's his face from the Plum Novella. I feel bad that I read it when I was in my Stephanie sucks moments, because all I kept seeing where the similarities with Stephanie Plums series, which made me not enjoy that book.

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen I just gave up on Evanovich so I haven't read anything from her in almost 2 years. She kept adding those in between the numbers books too where there was even another guy (can't remember his name)! I felt bad for not following Stephanie anymore but it was like rinse and repeat with those books.

I agree with the long term thing on Ranger. Morelli seemed to have more staying power.

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) That in between guy is the one that got a series now, no Stephanie in it. But feels like rinse and repeat storyline with paranormal twist.

message 24: by Ren (new)

Ren Francesca ~*~ Eyelet Ecstasy ~*~ wrote: "Jen, that I will never understand. Neither one of them pressure her at all! Imppssible. And Ren, this might be the longest. Its crazy!"

And she never choose? O.O
Still struggle between those two? I want to read this series, but I just have book #1. Publisher at Indonesia stop publish it. (ugh)

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) Well, we are at #17 and she's still lusting between the two. I read somewhere maybe next book she makes a decision.

message 26: by Jen (new)

Jen So Morelli never found out?? How does that work?

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) Nope! Dunno! I was upset about that too. Things got complicated with killers etc... and he'll only find out if one of the two involved open their mouths. Arghhhh

message 28: by Jen (last edited Jun 28, 2011 09:55AM) (new)

Jen That is totally hang over their heads for the next book. Are Morelli and Steph still "dating" at the end of this one?

Ok, wait....did Ranger know about the Morelli schleping in between?

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) Ranger didn't necessarily know about the in between, but he does know they are dating, so that's kind of a given, no?

And yes, it will hang over their heads in the next one. And yes she is still with Morelli at the end. It's all one big mess!

message 30: by Jen (new)

Jen This is just totally unbelievable, IMO. Or maybe not? I guess if neither man is wanting major commitment with her maybe they do not care. But Morelli is dating her!!

AHHH. I have done it again. I must avoid any updates about this book.

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) LMAO! I think Morelli wants something serious. Ranger doesn't seem that interested in that.

message 32: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I think Ranger could want something serious, but it's not worth asking for it since Stephanie doesn't want anything serious.