Leah's Reviews > A Rush of Wings

A Rush of Wings by Kristen Heitzmann

Nov 25, 2010

liked it
Read in November, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Okay, so the cover of this book doesn't look too promising, but the content kept me reading for a four- hour-stretch last weekend--perhaps that's why I now have a cold: I was reading when I should have been sleeping! And I'm guessing that since the cover of Indivisible, Heitzmann's most recent novel, looks NOTHING like the others, her publishers must have hired a new cover artist. A good idea, indeed!

Three stars may not be the best rating for A Rush of Wings, but because I now have its sequel in my head and am not willing to give it a five, this book can only get a three.

As I may have said before, the setting is what truly hooked me on Heitzmann’s writing. My solitary trip to the Rocky Mountains has been indelibly etched in my memory, and the idea of Morgan having a brother living the "good life" on a horse ranch far from the big city is more realistic to me than not.

Since Noelle, the protagonist, is almost as stubborn as my sister, I had no trouble relating to her either, yet in defense of collective stubbornness, independent thinking that’s often judged as “stubborn” allows “the stubborn” to excel in ways that the meek cannot—even if the route is rocky!

One complaint: Could Noelle and Rick’s paths really cross that many times on the ranch? True, Noelle was boarding in Rick’s house, but almost every time Morgan made a pass at her, Rick stepped into the room or walked by on an errand. I found this slightly annoying.

Noelle’s numerous artistic talents were surprising, as well as the true nature of her kidnapping—but how could her parents NOT demand that doctors check for sexual abuse?!

Morgan’s aid in the end was truly selfless. I was THRILLED to discover I could learn more about him in book two.

Yep, this was a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rush of Wings.