Robert's Reviews > Warped Passages: Unravelling the Universe's Hidden Dimensions

Warped Passages by Lisa Randall

Feb 11, 2016

did not like it
bookshelves: science, look-at-me, non-fiction, physics, rubbish
Recommended for: Nobody
Read from November 24, 2010 to January 30, 2011 , read count: 1

I reviewed this once before and a tecnical snafu ate it when I tried to up load it...

This book is dreadful: here are the many reasons why:

The material is disorganised. The book is ostensibly about extra spatial dimensions. The concepts are introduced in the first few chapters then don't re-appear until the last few chapters. The Standard Model is introduced twice.

The explanations are poor and sometimes wrong. The section on the Pauli Principle is riddled with errors and omissions that should embarress a good A-level chemistry student. The section on CP symmetry and CPT symmetry is so bad that I did not recognise these concepts for what they were until several chapters later. These concepts are not actually difficult to explain, even if it is hard to see why they should be true: In CP symmetry, all matter is swapped for it's antimatter equivalent and the directions left and right are reversed. When this is done, no difference can be detected between before and after the swap. This symmetry is known to work for all physical processes except those involving the weak nuclear force. In CPT symmetry, as well as swapping matter for antimatter and left for right, the direction of time is reversed. This symmetry was believed to hold for all circumstances - it could have happened five times since you started reading this review and you would never be able to tell the difference! However, very recent results have suggested that neutrinos and antinuetrinos may have different masses which would mean that CPT symmetry does not apply to them. This isn't a well established result yet, though. So, really, how hard was that to explain? Randall also offers the worst introduction to the fundamental mysteries of quantum mechanics I've ever read (and I've read quite a number).

Randall can't write: Additionally to giving bad explanations, Randall also gives us a very bad story at the beginning of each chapter. These stories have no literary merit and do not make understanding the forthcoming material any easier. They are like the dialogues from Godel, Escher, Bach by Hofstadter with all wit, literary merit and purpose removed, except they aren't dialogues, either.

Pop song wisdom: Each chapter begins with a quote from a pop song. These are not profound or witty. Many, many years ago I developed the principle, "Do not get your life wisdom from pop songs." One could also say, "Do not quote pop songs at the heads of chapters unless you want to look as if you've never read a book in your life."

Repetition: Using the same unclear explanation over and over again does not make a topic easier to understand. Since it was very difficult to understand Randall's explanations of concepts I am already familiar with repeating them isn't helpful.

Bloat: The new "physics" Randall wants to explain comes in the final two chapters of a long book which is full of digressions that are irrelevant to the main thrust. Weirdly the author includes every theoretical development of the last 20 years except the only one that has a firm experimental basis (i.e. neutrino oscillation, which I'm not going to explain here). Weirdly, this would have been useful, unlike the ones she does include, because the issue of "flavour mixing" comes up at one point. Again it took me some time to realise that this "flavour mixing" was something I knew about - neutrino oscillation!

Is there anything good about this book? Well, there's an explanation of why one theory of relativity is Special and the other is General that you won't find in many other places. Is that compensation for nearly 500p of tedious, repetitive and extremely speculative barely comprehensible explanations?

Stick to the maths, Lisa; you're good at maths.
15 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warped Passages.

11/24 page 97
11/29 page 130
25.0% "Erroneous discussion of black body radiation as relating to heated metal - has she not heard of "white hot"?"
12/05 page 150
29.0% "Section on fermions and bosons is riddled with errors and omissions."
12/07 page 160
31.0% "The material is not well organised."
12/10 page 215
42.0% "Higgs mechanism, Higgs field, Higgs fields, Higgs boson...Higgs total confusion..."
12/16 page 277
54.0% "Supersymmetry."
12/19 page 280
55.0% "super-imperfect-symmetry..."
12/21 page 290
57.0% "strings...superstrings..."
12/23 page 300
59.0% "String theory is nonsense..."
12/29 page 334
65.0% "Struggling..."
12/31 page 350
68.0% "The will to go on is waning."
01/03 page 360
70.0% "Are we there yet? Nope the bulk seems to be in the way..."
01/04 page 370
72.0% "Grinding my way through the remainder looks tough."
01/04 page 385
75.0% "KK particles, black holes...BS?"
02/11 marked as: read
show 7 hidden updates…

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny Thanks for the warning :)

Wow! I'd missed that. Can you give me a pointer?

Robert http://arxiv.org/abs/0801.0287v3 and download the pdf (link on the right). It is full-on technical literature, mind.

Your favourite, The Trouble with Physics, makes a much better effort of explaining the issues surrounding all versions of string- and M-theory. Randall does not work directly with string-theory, however. I forgot to mention that Randall asserts repeatedly that "string theory offers the most likely chance of a correct theory that goes beyond the Standard Model," without any justification, despite acknowledging many, if not all, the problems that string theory has knotted itself into.

message 3: by Olga (new)

Olga What book on the matter would you recommend?

Robert Olga wrote: "What book on the matter would you recommend?"

The Trouble with Physics: The Rise of String Theory, the Fall of a Science and What Comes Next is the best I've come across whilst being still reasonably up-to-date.

message 5: by Olga (new)

Olga Thank you, Robert!

message 6: by Manny (new)

Manny I also liked Farewell to Reality . And if you want a historical perspective, Higher Speculations is excellent.

Robert Olga wrote: "Thank you, Robert!"

You're welcome.

message 8: by Olga (new)

Olga Thank you, Manny!

message 9: by Miriam (new)

Miriam The explanations are poor and sometimes wrong.

Robert Miriam wrote: "The explanations are poor and sometimes wrong.

Yeah, that's a pretty major problem. I think. Many people have disagreed with me on that. I don't think any of them were scientists, though."

The part on the Pauli Exclusion Principle should be embarrassing to a 17yo chemistry student.