Melissa Wehunt's Reviews > Out of Sight, Out of Mind

Out of Sight, Out of Mind by Marilyn Kaye

"Out of Sight, Out of Mind" is book 1 in the Gifted Series. I enjoyed this book for what it was....Essentially, a paranormal chapter book for younger teens. After her parents give birth to 7 baby girls a few years back, Tracy has always felt invisible. Only now, she's actually becoming that way! Our main character (well, kind of...), Tracy, is 13 and finds herself in a class full of "gifted" teens. Accept these teens aren't gifted in the usual sense...instead of studying for college entrance exams, these kids spend their time learning how to cope with mind reading abilities, super strength, visits from the dead, and premonitions about the future to name a few.

While I found the premise of the series intriguing, I thought some of the actual plot points kind of lame. For example, the whole evil plot to get lottery numbers predicted?? Umm...a dastardly evil deed, I'm sure....but a bit lackluster isn't it? And while I realize that our "main character's" gift was invisibility, it seemed that she didn't actually have much role in the storyline. Other than being a doormat, Tracy was pretty much nixed from the plotline as soon as body-snatching Amanda showed up. Throughout the whole book it was Amanda's transformation that we watched, not Tracy's. While I'm glad Tracy appeared to benefit from Amanda's hard work, why didn't we just name the novel after Amanda's body snatching abilities and save Tracy's plot for later in the series? I thought that was kind of weird.

All things aside though, it was ok. And I will probably read the other books in the series eventually. If only because they are a super fast read and I'm near the end of the year and need to catch up on my reading goal. :) But also, I'm glad there is something paranormal out there that I would feel ok giving to a young, young teen. Not that I have issues giving anything like this to teens, but I guess what I mean is, if there is a parent in that is concerend about sex issues and such for the their 10-12 year old who wants to read Twilighty type books...it will be nice to know that these will be a safe bet.

3.5 Stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Sight, Out of Mind.

11/23/2011 page 125