karen's Reviews > Oddballs

Nov 24, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: and-so-this-is-grad-school, kiddiwinx
Read from November 24 to 27, 2010

EDIT so alfonso doesn't start crying.

this book is like running with scissors for the teen set, but with less statutory rape and depression. it is a series of autobiographical essays devoted to "look how unconventional my upbringing was!!! look at how creative my sister and i were when we were on long car rides and wrapped ourselves in brown blankets and pretended we were poo and had conversations that we expected poo would have if it could talk!!! look at how our mother's casual housekeeping and hands-off parenting freaked out other mothers, and note her snappy retorts to the offended individuals!! how cool must life have been for us, you see???"

this book treads the line between funny and irritating. there is an inescapable smugness to it, but some of the stories are quite good. let me try to explain what this book makes me feel inside.

let's say there are two people. person A is blathering on about how he has four cars. he thinks this makes him really cool, and he is telling person B because he wants person B to be totally jealous of his four cars. however, unbeknownst to person A, person B actually owns six cars. but he has never mentioned them to person A because it is just a fact of life to which he has become accustomed and maybe he is a little shamed by his own excess or he just doesn't think it is interesting to talk about or any of person A's business. so but person B is listening to all this and feels like maybe he should speak up about it and clarify what is happening here because he is feeling increasingly embarrassed by the situation and person A's totally misplaced value system because if it ever comes up in future conversations it is going to be very embarrassing to them both when person A learns that person B just sat there the whole time without saying anything...

and that awkwardness is the way i feel as a reader. not because i had a particularly wacky childhood, because i didn't. but because listening to someone boast about how craaaaazy they are makes me feel just glazed and dead inside. no one wants to hear about skits you put on for family friends when you were eleven. trust me.**

and i did like a lot of this book, and i liked running with scissors to a certain extent too, but the whole idea of glamorizing parents who will drive their kids somewhere unfamiliar, give them a dime, and tell them to find their way home or call for help if they can't do it; it seems unhealthy. it was a different time, sure, but it just seems careless. and there was too much weird family togetherness in the skit-performing and weird overly-involved in some things and totally laissez-faire in others that struck me as this horrifying bipolar formative experience, like being raised by some methed-out version of the von trapps.

and there is an edge of cruelty or masochism in some of these stories. for example - staging fake fights on public transportation where one girl would be ostracized and openly mocked by the other girls at full volume for the benefit of the other passengers, to gauge their reactions. as someone who has to deal with public transportation every day, this irritates me beyond belief. but i fucking hate spectacle, that's just me. and breaking into some poor compulsive liar's fantasy-world and taking it over and turning her only friends against her, even if they were only polite to her out of basic human civility. there is just something terrible about these people. who does this?? and does it with such wild gleeful abandon and then brags about it in adulthood?? "yeah, we totally ruined the only place she had where she felt like she belonged. but it's okay because she was always lying about shit." etc etc

what a tool.

at the end, sleator is there to remind the reader that he is, first and foremost, a writer of fiction and that he may have exercised the writer's prerogative to embellish a little in order to make the stories "pop" a little more, or to give them a more satisfying resolution.

oh, if only james frey had employed this tactic, he could have avoided being scolded by oprah in front of everyone.

**EDIT - i realize i did a poor job of explaining here. let me clarify. i do not mind tales from people's childhood, as will soon become apparent. what i do mine are people's tales of "how cool they were when they were little which made them so cool in adulthood" but only when the things they think are cool are things i feel sorry/embarrassed for them for having done. like the kids who in jr high could quote every monty python sketch ever, and they were so cool in their little circle, but then they grow up and then you think "how sad" because that is like their life's achievement and they have practically written a glory days type of song about it. me and sleator's "cool factors" do not line up. pretending to have a baby swaddled in a blanket and then hurling it at the ground so it splatters everywhere and it takes people a little while to realize it was actually a watermelon - i don't find that funny. it is basically littering.i find performance art to be intrusive and the practitioners of it are rarely clever, so it just becomes an inconvenience.and, yes, they were kids when they were doing this so that should mitigate it a little, but the fact is, he grew up and still thinks it is cool. i did plenty of annoying things as a teen, but i will not talk about them, much less publish them, because i have grown up enough to know that it was actually not cool. and maybe you think it is cool, and that's fine. i just don't. it makes my skin crawl a little. i don't think i have explained myself any better here, but it's all i have today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oddballs.

message 1: by j (new)

j Interstellar Pig is so awesome! also Among the Dolls is super creepy.

karen i am definitely planning to read more of his stuff.

The Crimson Fucker BALLS!

The Crimson Fucker WAIT! i just actually read the review!!!! that means you never liked the childhood stories i told you!!!? dude! my parents were crazy for real! and not in the cool way!!!

karen let me clarify: i do not like it when people use their wacky upbringing tales to kind of force the issue of "look how cool i was raised!! that's why i am so cool today!!! coooooollllll"

this is not what you do.

karen but, yes:

balls.

The Crimson Fucker BALLS!!!!!

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan Methed out Von Trapps sound so awesome.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

The Von Trapps wrapped up their meth in brown paper packages, tied up with string.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio And then they take apart but can't remember how to reassemble their fav-or-ite things.

karen hahaah yeah - your very favorite "craaaaaazy" author

The Crimson Fucker EDIT so alfonso doesn't start crying.

you are an evil reviewer!!!!!

karen how so?? i was saving you from low self-esteem and self-doubt

you're welcome

The Crimson Fucker guahahahah you like a review Sith Lord!!!!

thank you master!!!

message 15: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Bizarre. I was told I was evil today. I questioned this provocative statement and the guy backtracked to say I was cool evil like Darth Vader.

karen synchronicity... there must be something the air.....

message 17: by Greg (new)

Greg Karen was just snippy and a little bitchy with a customer. Evil. Very Evil and menacing, sort of like that asthma ridden Sith guy from one of the three Star Wars movies that shouldn't have been made.

karen i was not!! all he needed to say to me was "where are books about office skills?" or at the very least, to bark "office skills" at me. i don't fucking need to hear, "i was on the first floor and they sent me up here but i can't find the section they were blah blah blah..." they interrupted us when we were having a conversation to give me some long winded bullshit.

fuck you, greg - i hope PH water man comes back and asks for you.

message 19: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Did the customer cry?

karen i wish. no, he toddled behind me as i led him to the office skills books. and then he said "thank you"

and i said "next time, don't be so fucking chatty, yeah?? NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR HOPES AND DREAMS!!!!"

and i kicked him in the kneecap

message 21: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine when I get those customers I don't ask them what I want and I let them keep talking till they get angry I haven't found the book yet. it is amazing how far they will go without bothering to give you any information. It's a fun game

message 22: by Mariel (new)

Mariel You are a golden god.

I cut people off on the phone when they start in on backstory. Next time I'll tell 'em I don't need three Star Wars prequels and get to the Emperor getting his.

karen i was at another bn today and i witnessed a bitch of a customer hitting a staff member with several pieces of paper, like she was a bad puppy.

that shit doesn't fly here at the flagship.

this is how i get in trouble.

message 24: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine I'm not as nice as I sound, I just like making people feel stupid. on the other end of the spectrum a customer just gave me one of those "but they said you had it" things, and I was nice enough to say "no, it goes right there. It isn't there so you can't have it."

I'm just my own special kind of bitch.

karen and now i just threw a guy out of the store.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Literally, I presume.

karen nah, this is one i don't want to touch (implying, incorrectly, that there are many that i do want to touch)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Well, telekinetically, of course.

karen if i could do that, i would throw things at people's balls all the time

message 30: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine he was smelly, don't touch the smelly ones.

message 31: by Sarai (new)

Sarai I'm here for the balls.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Take a number and get in line with the rest of us...

karen i got your balls right here...

message 34: by Greg (new)

Greg twss

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio tws/hs

karen i like to driiiive.

karen i want to be raised by wolves.

karen are you my mommy?

karen a prodigy!

karen hahah i still owe you an audio review! i need greg to come back to help me!

karen dry toast?

karen pff - what kind of daughter do you take me for?

karen that's in 15 minutes!! come on!! just one more round of body-shots!!!

message 44: by Jen (new)

Jen The Family Fang! So far, this is the book in a nutshell:

"but it just seems careless. and there was too much weird family togetherness in the skit-performing and weird overly-involved in some things and totally laissez-faire in others that struck me as this horrifying bipolar formative experience, like being raised by some methed-out version of the von trapps.

karen oh, are you not liking it?

message 46: by Jen (new)

Jen I'm not sure. I like it and then I don't like it. It hits too many pitches too carefully. The preciousness of it seems almost rehearsed.

I'm saying precious when I should be using some other word...I don't know. There have been underlinings, so it isn't bad at all. Just patches of the things that you stated above, now and again.

message 47: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones as someone who couldn't even finish Running With Scissors (for many of the reasons you mention), I won't be picking this one up!

karen good - we mustn't encourage watermelon-litter.

message 49: by Selina (new)

Selina Kyle Things I've noticed "quirky cool growing up stories!!!" have in common: a fondness for poo, and a lot of assholes who don't realize they're being assholes.

Brianna Anna Njaidi This is a great book