Elizabeth Hunter's Reviews > La Bella Lingua: My Love Affair with Italian, the World's Most Enchanting Language

La Bella Lingua by Dianne Hales

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: kindle, non-fiction, language
Read in May, 2011

The author's love for Italian is almost off-putting in its intensity. While she has some interesting stories about Italy and the development of the language, she also retails stories as truth that have been disproved, or at least disputed, without comment. And the detail of the language descends into long pages of trivia at times. It also rankled slightly that her knowledge of Italian is clearly much richer than her understanding of English and of language in general, so that she disparages the latter in favor of the former without much consideration. Italian is certainly a gorgeous language, but the assertion that it is richer in metaphor than English is simply wrong and the idea that Italians craft their speech more thoughtfully than people speaking other languages seems like a silly generalization. I'm delighted for her that she's found something to be so passionate about and her research took her in some interesting directions, but overall this was less of a book than I think it could have been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read La Bella Lingua.