Reading Teen (Andye)'s Reviews > Through Her Eyes

Through Her Eyes by Jennifer Archer

Apr 19, 11

Read from November 24 to 27, 2010

Tansy Piper was sick of moving all over the country with her mother, author of horror novels, and her Papa Dan, who hadn't spoken in a long time now. More than anything, Tansy just wanted to plant some roots, make some friends, and live a normal life. But when her family move to small-town Cedar Canyon, Texas, normal was not what Tansy found. Almost immediately, Tansy was drawn to certain things about her new house; a crystal, an old pocket watch, and a journal with beautiful poems that almost seemed to be written for her.

She soon finds out that the poems were written by a boy named Henry, who lived in her house many years before, and who died a very mysterious death. In the turret of her new eccentric home, that she has turned into a darkroom for her photography, Tansy discovers that she can connect to Henry and his past in a completely unbelievable way. But as she is drawn deeper and deeper into Henry's world, her own reality begins to fade.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I really had no idea what it was about, or what to expect when I started reading it. Part contemporary, part ghost story, I was immediately sucked into Tansy's world, and Henry's world along with it. I love a good creepy mystery, and Through Her Eyes was full of it.

There were so many things I loved about this book. The writing was like poetry! It was so intense and beautiful. I could truly FEEL the isolation that Tansy was experiencing, and that Henry had felt so long ago. As Tansy delved deeper into Henry's troubled life, I kept wanting to yell at her to get out!! Run Away!! But at the same time, I had to know what happened to Henry all those years ago.

I loved all the characters in the book. Tansy's relationship with her mother was so realistic. The way that they absolutely loved each other, but just couldn't quite connect was perfect. Tansy's new and eccentric friend Bethyl Ann, otherwise known as "Stinky", was such a great supporting character. Tate, the once self-absorbed jock, was also a fantastic addition to the story. I found myself constantly questioning him, his motives, and his character. I do wish that there had been more interaction between him and Tansy. I loved the parts with them together and felt like many of them were cut off too bluntly. But the relationship I loved the most was between Tansy and her Papa Dan. I loved the way she loved him. It takes an enormous amount of talent to create a character so multi-dimensional and lovable when he barely even speaks. Jennifer did a fantastic job! Then there were the people in Henry's world. People that were teenagers sixty years before. It was incredible that I could be completely immersed in Tansy's world, then instantly feel like I was sixty years back in time in Henry's world.

With beautiful poetic writing, a mysteriously haunted house, and completely unique and creepy storyline that you don't see much in the Young Adult world, Through Her Eyes is definitely one you'll want to add to your TBR pile!

-Andye (http://ReadingTeen.net/)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through Her Eyes.