Lacey Louwagie's Reviews > Austenland

Austenland by Shannon Hale

Dec 06, 10

bookshelves: romance
Read from November 24 to December 03, 2010

I picked this book up when pickings were VERY slim for audiobooks at the library. There are two reasons I gave it a chance even though I generally don't go for this Brigitte-Jones-diary-esque, chick lit (shudder) genre:
1) I felt that, as an English major who has read all but one of Jane Austen's work, it behooved me to listen to a modern "retelling" that referenced them heavily and;
2) Shannon Hale writes good YA books.

This book wasn't as annoying as I expected it to be, mainly because the protagonist wasn't quite as pathetic as I expected her to be. And it did dabble in what's generally my favorite theme--how and why we make the decision to live in "the real world" rather than one of our own imagining. There was a hint of feminist sensibility near the end, as the protagonist realized that fantasy is "the opiate of women," but the true ending of the novel was totally predictable. Still, I imagine that the intended audience for this work would not have been satisfied if it ended any other way. At least there were a few moments of laugh-out-loud humor to keep it from being too saccharine.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Austenland.

11/24/2010
20.0% "Don't have a whole lot of patience for women who moon over the regency era and dream of unattainable Jane Austen romance stories (heck, Jane Austen herself never had that kind of story!)" 2 comments
12/01/2010