Alexa's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Jul 09, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, tour, arc, 2011-reads, favorites, exceeded-expectations, own
Read from July 03 to 04, 2011

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

Once I was done reading Daimon, I was so glad I had an ARC of Half-Blood in hand and hoped it was as good as the prequel. I can safely say that Half-Blood exceeded any expectations I had! I completely loved it! It was so awesome that it's now one of my favorite YA paranormals, and if this keeps up, I know Covenant could end up being a definite favorite series of mine!

After three years in hiding with her pure-blood mother, 17-year-old Alexandria Andros is finally back with the Covenant, a place where pure-bloods, the children of Hematoi (who are descendants of demigods), and half-bloods, the offspring of mortals and Hematoi, live away from the mortal world. It's also where some are trained as Sentinels and Guards whose purpose is to kill daimons and protect pures. Halfs also have a chance of becoming docile servants to pures if they aren't cut out for Sentinel duty or if they break the rules. As a half-blood who broke the rules by running away with her mother and living in the mortal world, Alex chances of becoming a servant are high. To gain back the trust of the leaders she has to prove her loyalty and that she has what it takes to become a Sentinel by catching up with the three years of training she missed before the end of the summer. But following the rules is easier said than done, especially when Alex starts to fall for a pure and finds out the real reason her mother took her away from the Covenant.

First, I have to quickly mention the setting. There are Covenants located around the country like Tennessee and New York, but this particular Covenant is located on an island off the coast of North Carolina. Being on an island sounds awesome, and I like that the author chose a fitting name for it: Deity Island. And I have to admit that I'm pretty bias to anything North Carolina, so of course I'm happy that it's located there!

Now on to the characters. Alex was just awesome! She's funny and kickass. Strong, yet vulnerable. Her interactions with the rest of the characters, like her best friend Caleb and another fellow half-blood Seth, were great. Those characters were very likable as well, and I loved that they were all important to the story. Another character I really liked was Aiden St. Delphi. He's the pure-blood who volunteered to train Alex, and if you've read Daimon, he's actually the 'older guy' Alex use to have a crush on. I knew there was a chance I would swoon over him, but I didn't realize just how much! Aiden's such a sweet and protective and patient and nice (and I could go on!) guy, and I completely understand why Alex would fall for him, even while knowing a relationship between a pure-blood and half-blood is forbidden. I absolutely loved their moments together, and it makes me so happy when I really like the main character and the lead male character. I cannot wait to read more of their interactions!

I think this is my first experience reading a YA paranormal book where the characters are descendants of gods. I'm impressed with how the author incorporated Greek Mythology into the story, and I have a feeling Half-Blood will stand out among the other YA books with Greek Mythology released recently. I've already mentioned how much I love the characters, the relationships and the romance, and I think another aspect readers will enjoy is the action. Half-Blood is filled with it! It was never boring. There are plenty of scenes where Aiden is training Alex, and I loved that Aiden did not go easy on her. There are also parts with the daimons, which were pure-bloods who changed into dangerous creatures after drinking the aether, a pure's esscene, from another pure. They're powerful and ruthless, and I never knew what to expect from them. Another was finding out the reason Alex's mother took her away from the Covenant; it was a bit surprising, and I really want to know how Alex will continue to deal with this sudden revelation and what the outcome will be.

When I finished Half-Blood, all I wanted was more! I was satisfied with everything. The author is a great storyteller, and I'm extremely excited for the second book Pure! It's being released in less than a year, but I wish it was out already. I look forward to finding out what happens next with Alex and the rest of the characters and to learn more about their world. If you're a YA paranormal fan, you don't want to miss out! Definitely check out this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

07/03/2011 page 37
13.0% "Good. :)"
show 1 hidden update…

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-23 of 23) </span> <span class="smallText">(23 new)</span>

message 1: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic I think I am going to have to read this. I notice it marked favourites.

Alexa Loved it! :) I want more. And more Aiden! XD

Crystal Wow another 5 star! I am excited to read your review =)

message 4: by Alexa (last edited Jul 09, 2011 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa This review didn't turn out the way I wanted. ~_~
So all you need to know is that I loved it & I highly recommend it! :)

Btw, I'm going to go ahead and claim Aiden. :D :D

Arlene I added this to my TBR. This sounds really good. :)

Great review Alexa!

Crystal You did a great job with this review =) I am really looking forward to this one, it sounds amazing!

~Tina~ Now this book sounds like a me book XD!
Great review!

Alexa Definitely a you book, Tina! :D

You should check out the prequel Daimon (Covenant, #0.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout!
It can be downloaded for free here: http://www.site.spencerhillpress.com/...

Hope yall enjoy it!

~Tina~ Thanks Alexa! I'll be sure to read it:)

Crystal Hey Alexa I have a question, I am getting this one as part of a blog tour and I am wondering if I should read the prequel first? What do you recommend?

Alexa I recommend reading the prequel. You'll learn about daimons and what happened to Alex's mother, and Half-Blood starts immediately where Daimon left off. :)

Crystal Okay then I am going to start it today thanks! I am really excited to read this one!

Alexa So hope you like it! XD

Arlene I got approved for the tour! So excited!!

Alexa Yay! :D

Arlene I'm printing the prequal now. :)

Alexa Can't wait to know what you & Crystal think about this series. :)

Arlene Well you gave it 5 stars and the other reviews are great too, so I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance I'll love it. XD

Crystal Yea!! Congratulations Arlene!!

I just finished the prequel and yep I am hooked!

Arlene Thanks Crystal. I just downloaded it today. Going to read it now. :)

Crystal I hope you like it!

Amber Great review Alexa!

Jessica Must.Have.This.IMMEDIATELY.