Matt's Reviews > Never Have Your Dog Stuffed: And Other Things I've Learned

3702050
Nov 26, 10

bookshelves: biography-memoirs
Read from November 24 to 26, 2010

I've always liked the Alan Alda I see on TV, especially in M*A*S*H, of which I have seen every episode multiple times. The Alan Alda in his first book, "Never Have Your Dog Stuffed" is much like he has always been in interviews, but with the subject matter being as sometimes sad as it is, the tone feels a lot heavier.

If you are looking for a lot of fun stories about M*A*S*H, you should look elsewhere. Obviously there are mentions because it was such a huge part of Alda's life and career, but this book is about much more than that. It is about growing up as the son of a great actor, about the quest to become a great actor himself, and most poignantly, growing up as the son of a mentally ill mother.The stories about his mother are the most interesting, and also quite sad. The instances of his mother's affect on him pop throughout and his relationship with her is the most memorable part of the book.

The book does have some laughs, though, and Alda is charming throughout. I would highly recommend this book, as it will make you laugh and might even make you cry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Have Your Dog Stuffed.

11/24/2010 page 55
20.0% "So far, so good. I really love the way Alda's personality goes into the way he writes. He has a very strong narrative voice."