Laura's Reviews > The Second Summer

The Second Summer by Ann Brashares

Jan 08, 11

bookshelves: childrens-books-novels, fiction, do-not-own-anymore
Read in January, 2011

This book was painful to get through and I never want to read another book by Ann Brashares again. I really wish I was able to give this book 1/2 a star because that is all it deserves imo.

Why did I think it 'sucked' so bad?

1) The book would flip between the characters with a simple paragraph break so I found myself getting confused about who the writer was talking about until a name was mentioned.

2) The parents names were constantly used instead of Mum or Dad which is fine BUT she should have placed a reminder as to who was who. It wasn't until far into the book did I work out the actual people were the PARENTS of the each child and not an external friend.

3) If you picked up this book without reading the first one you'd be rather lost which I think is kinda poor. I don't mean you need to retell everything within the new book but some sort of flashbacks or some sort of reminder might have made things a little easier to grasp/remember. So many books do that, so why couldn't this one?

4) Lena's storyline really annoyed me and boy was she a big SOP! And the preview for the next book kinda shows nothing has really changed. Carma was such a bitch to her mother and in no way was she a pleasure to read about. The only two that I semi enjoyed was Bee and Tibby.

5) The whole Bailey/Tibby thing would make anyone clueless IF you hadn't picked up the first book. Honestly, I haven't read the first book in YEARS so I felt I was very clueless/out of the loop.

I feel kinda sad because when I read the first book I was gripped, couldn't put it down...Whereas this book I couldn't wait to throw it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Second Summer.

12/31/2010 page 54
14.0% "Just starting to heat up.."
01/04/2011 page 100
25.0% "Finding this book painful...Ennnnnddd now pls!"
01/05/2011 page 268
67.0% "soon i will have this finished *phew*"