Lisa (Harmonybites)'s Reviews > The Cat Who Could Read Backwards

The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian Jackson Braun

Nov 24, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, mystery, ultimate-reading-list, crime, fiction, novels
Recommended for: Cat Lovers
Read on November 24, 2010 , read count: 1

This was an enjoyable novel, and I'd probably rate it higher if I were more of a cat lover. So many mysteries, it seems, depend on a gimmick; I've seen everything from quilting to recipes to herb lore. The gimmick in this novel, the first of the "Cat Who Could" series, is a supercat, Koko, a regal Siamese cat who can almost talk--although he doesn't appear until page 71. The human half of the team whose perspective leads us through the story is Jim Qwilleran, veteran reporter. Divorced and a recovering alcoholic, he takes a job on the art beat for the Daily Fluxion, a major newspaper in an unnamed Midwestern city.

The copyright on this book is 1966 and it shows. This is a world where typewriters are still used, electric pencil sharpeners shock as a cutting edge technology and it's worth noting the "inevitable girl reporter." A world where Qwilleran goes to a "Happening" and filled with characters like art critic George Bonifield Mountclemens III, "beatnik" artist "Nine-Oh-Two-Four-Six-Eight-Five" and a lesbian artist named--I kid you not--Butchy Bolton.

The newspaper world as well as that of the modern art scene, business, and artworks are well-drawn. Koko on the other hand, is too cutesy and unbelievable for me, and I felt the resolution of the mystery came out of not just out of left field, but way outside the ballpark and into the next town.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cat Who Could Read Backwards.