Flannery's Reviews > Call Me Irresistible

Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Nov 24, 2010

bookshelves: kcls, i-wouldnt-read-on-the-t, read-in-2011, romance, reviewed-2011
Recommended to Flannery by: My addiction
Recommended for: People who have already read lots of SEP books
Read from May 02 to 03, 2011 , read count: 1

I had book club on Saturday and we talked about the different types of readers and how what you read affects your ratings and reviews on Goodreads. If you are a heavy enough GR user, you know who the people are in every group— It’s funny to read the reviews of romance books that primarily lit fic readers write. It’s also funny to read the reviews of, well, more complicated reads done by people who do not usually venture into those realms. That’s why I am a fan of Vinaya’s “comparative 5 stars” shelf…but not enough of a fan to go through all my books and change all my ratings. At least for me, there are some books that I rate 4 or 5 stars that might not get the same rating when compared to books in other genres but that definitely stand out amongst their direct competitors. However, there are obviously always those that will hold their own against even the most nitpicky readers. Anyway, I love Susan Elizabeth Phillips books. Compared to other books in her genre, she is consistent in her plotwork and writing. I know that I will laugh at her jokes, fall for several characters (not necessarily in a romantic sense, just that I root for them) and get some reassurances that I’ll be able to figure everything out in my life, like why I can never figure out a third item for lists I write.

This book might not appeal to those who haven’t read and enjoyed other SEP books, specifically Fancy Pants (Gah, that title, I know) and Lady Be Good. Her series books tend to be massively self-referential, which can be enjoyable if you remember all the characters and storylines from her other books but I think it might/probably would hinder the enjoyment of those who are unfamiliar with her earlier work. Characters also show up from Glitter Baby, What I Did For Love, and First Lady. Another point we discussed at book club was whether or not we enjoyed authors who set several books in the same world despite them not really being a series. (In case anyone is wondering, our book club pick was The Windup Girl, whose author has written several other stories in the same world.) Feelings ran the gamut from love to author laziness. In the case of romance series, I appreciate the little glimpses we get into the lives of characters after their particular romantic stories have been told, but sometimes I get sick of reading about the “couple that is still head over heels who are still having wild sex and have several perfect children and perfect lives.” (*cough*Nora Roberts *cough*)This book was a little too heavy on the "Look! Those other characters are still in love!" but I still loved reading about Ted and Meg falling for each other.

The story in Call Me Irresistable felt (maybe too) similar to Ain’t She Sweet. Main female character that people believe is too entitled? Check. Made to work at a job that might be considered beneath her but she scrapes by and maintains her dignity and honor? Check. And she is ridiculed and made to feel unwelcome by the townspeople? Check. While the male romantic interest is a guy whose life she arguably ruined? Check. He treats her like dirt? Check. Until they fall in love? Check. Uh oh.

But I gave it four stars! That’s right, and I am sticking to my guns. I don’t care that it wasn’t very original. All I care about is that when I laid in my bed to go to sleep and picked this book up, I didn’t put it down until it was done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call Me Irresistible.

message 1: by Nomes (last edited May 03, 2011 04:33PM) (new)

Nomes LOVE that going-to-bed-oops-just-read-a-whole-book-in-one-go feeling. It's the best

I haven't read any SEP. Mainly as my lib doesn't own any :(

I'll have to invest in one of her books myself...

(ps I wouldn't "read it on the t" either ;) or even in overly plain sight of my husband, haha...

Flannery I read them all on my Kindle in like two weeks when I was stressed out from school a year or two ago:) They are fun and super funny. (but I know we talked about this before)

message 3: by Jessi (new)

Jessi Impressive!!!

Flannery Misery does wonders for a person! :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Sometimes if I really liked a book or a set of specific characters it bugs me that much more to hear "how they're doing" in the next book. Only because it's always to short and it makes me miss them.
I hope someone brought that up at book club, on my behalf.

Flannery I think the biggest culprits of doing that are romance series authors and I don't think any of my other book clubbers are big romance readers:)

I totally know what you mean, though. That is especially true when you LOVED their story and the one you are reading just isn't living up. The other books set in this town aren't my all-time fave SEP books so I didn't mind as much as I did in her Chicago Stars series.

message 7: by Lora (new)

Lora Flannery wrote: "I think the biggest culprits of doing that are romance series authors and I don't think any of my other book clubbers are big romance readers:)"

*points at self* I am, actually. I've never read anything from this author, but now you've got me curious. Maybe I'll try one of her earlier works.

Flannery My book clubbers IRL don't read much romance:) If you are going to try her out, I'd maybe start with Match Me If You Can. It's out of order in the series but you'll have a good feel for how she writes.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather I totally agree w/that rating issue. I generally add a silent/private caveat of "for what it is" at the end of all my star ratings! I mean, obviously Shopaholic is not actually written better than Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius or something. But "for what it is!" it's better than others and Heartbreaking Work isn't! Etc. etc.
Miss you!

message 10: by Janine (new)

Janine Southard I will totally read a romance novel for book club. (One of the people in my writing group is determined that I'm going to read Nora Roberts...)

message 11: by Hodan (new)

Hodan OMG i did the same thing, i started reading SEP books b/c i was so stressed about school and i needed a distraction.
With CALL ME IRRESISTIBLE, didn't you miss Teds POV?

Flannery I did miss it but I still really liked it. I think I was just in a total mood for SEP so I could overlook its shortcomings. I am really excited for Lucy's story as well...

message 13: by Jana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jana I don't even have to write my own reviews anymore, because I pretty much think that lately you've been nailing my thoughts completely.

Flannery D'awww, thanks. But you should still write a review! After about five minutes, you'll forget what happened. Did you see she has a new one coming out next month? Lucy's story!+