Tricia's Reviews > Polar The Titanic Bear

1924595
Nov 24, 10

bookshelves: picture, children-s, read-aloud
Read in November, 2010

Despite the title, this book is much more about Polar's 'life' *before* the Titanic. Perhaps it should be titled "Polar the bear of a fabulously wealthy boy in a bygone era, who happened to survive the sinking of the Titanic." It contains too much mundane and disconnected detail early on to maintain the attention of a young listener (even a 7yo with a keen interest in the Titanic). For example, do we need to know how long they stayed in each exotic locale and that they celebrated Washington's birthday? And why tell us that master is obsessed with the height and length of things (Eiffel Tower, p 31) if you're not going to follow up with stats of the Titanic? Perhaps it would have been the right length if it had started when they boarded the ill-fated ship (page 32 of 52).

The art combines historic photographs and ephemera with watercolors that are a bit too fussy for my tastes. I also don't like how it's written from the perspective of the bear. I was interested in the intro and the epilogue, with glimpses into the family who owned the bear, but not the main body of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Polar The Titanic Bear.