Amy's Reviews > The Lady's Slipper

The Lady's Slipper by Deborah Swift

Dec 15, 10

bookshelves: 17th-century, england, historical-fiction, arcs, read-in-2010
Read in December, 2010 — I own a copy

It’s amazing that the theft of one little harmless orchid could set off a series of happenings that will turn three lives upside down!

Alice is still in deep mourning over the death of her little sister Flora and has grown moody, introverted and spends most of her time among her paints and flower paintings. When Richard Wheeler shows her the rare Lady’s Slipper orchid growing on his land, she feels she must save it and ensure its survival.

But Alice is not the only one with a plan for the orchid.

Richard Wheeler, a former member of the Puritan army who has given up his money and possessions to become a Quaker and live more peacefully after the horrors of war believes the orchid should stay where God placed it and Sir Geoffrey Fisk, a nobleman and land owner who has a painful skin condition wants the flower for medicinal purposes.

But possessing the orchid does not come at a cheap price as these three will come to find out and will leave one fighting for their life and another losing their sanity.

The unique plot of The Lady’s Slipper is what initially made me want to read it (plus the great cover) and it did not disappoint! Deborah Swift has written an engaging novel about life in England after Cromwell, the Quakers, and a rare flower that changed the lives of those who came in contact with it. I can definitely recommend this book and am very much looking forward to reading Swift’s next work, The Gilded Lily!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady's Slipper.

12/04/2010 page 96
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Bass Amy,
Thank you for sharing your review, and opinions on "The Lady's Slipper." I look forward to getting my copy and reading myself. Have a great evening! :)

Lisa

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Thanks Lisa! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Take care!

message 3: by Indiaskye (new) - added it

Indiaskye I am getting this book as a gift for christmas and am looking forward to reading it, as well ... :o)

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Oh yeah India! Enjoy it!

Lisa Bass Ordered my copy today, it should be here by Christmas...yeah!