Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)'s Reviews > Blue is for Nightmares

Blue is for Nightmares by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Feb 22, 11

bookshelves: own-on-paper, 2011-read-list, genre-romance, class-young-adult, book-first-in-series, genre-paranormal
Read from February 14 to 22, 2011 — I own a copy

Beautiful title, great coverart, the beginning of a famous series - this book had so much going for it that I couldn't help but order it.

And it was good.

I'd never believed creating a young-adult thriller was possible, but Laurie Faria Stolarz pulled it off. I was really freaked out by the plot, and yet it wasn't like an adult thriller - it was a definite teen. To the end I couldn't quite guess who was the killer, and the finale was a smash.

I adored the paranormal part - especially after learning the author was actually from Salem, Massachusetts; and the boarding high school was a good setting.

The tво stars are for a couple of reasons:
1. Authenticity - I would have liked a better developed romantic streak - it just didn't add up for me, the thing between Chad and Stacey. And most of the paranormal parts were really kind of silly. Drea and Amer were supposedly Stace's BFFs but they sure didn't act like it. It was annoying.
2. I wasn't really all that into the book. It took some time to read it, and I went through other books while still not finishing this one. Maybe it was just that the book was more appropriate for someone, say, 15 or 16, or something; but I read a lot of YA and don't believe so.

The good thing is, I'm sure, just by reading the summary, that the second book is much better. And I'd definetely set my sights on reading it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue is for Nightmares.

02/15/2011 page 68
24.0% "So far it's so realistic I'm a bit crept out. Seriously. But it's enticing as a thriller."
02/16/2011 page 200
71.0% "This is getting really frustrating-intense and bitchy"
show 1 hidden update…

Malynda This series is my first love. <3

Adi (Reading in the Windowseat) That sound good.Can't wait to find time to actually get into the book =)