fooloveratook 's Reviews > Vixen

Vixen by Jillian Larkin

May 16, 11

bookshelves: cover-lust, need-to-purchase, loved, young-adult
Read from April 27 to May 17, 2011

VIXEN is an impeccably told story, riddled with rebellion and risky romance, glamorous danger, and authentic characters! I'm so glad I had a related English assignment, otherwise I wouldn't have picked it up until much later in the year. I was totally engrossed in the story, and I connected with most of the characters. The book had just enough drama, just enough jeopardy to keep me entertained and interested. Larkin did an incredible job whisking me away to the epic Roaring Twenties, an alluring time of glitz and unprecedented wealth!

Told in three third person POVs, VIXEN describes the life of three very dissimilar girls - Gloria Carmody, Clara Knowles, and Lorraine Dyer. Between them, my favorite is Clara. She waltzes into the Carmody estate, an innocent facade about her, gets trash-talked by her aunt and walks away, for the most part, unscathed. Clara has an amazing willpower, one that gets her through the emotional wreckage that was the previous year, and allows her to acclimate well to this sudden change in her life. I loved how no one saw her as anything more than a common, saintlike, country bumpkin from the east, because it shows just how clever she is. I delighted in the fact that she had everybody completely fooled! She's intelligent, most especially streetsmart, and she's intuitive - some of my favorite qualities. So, when love happens once Marcus, aka Mistah Playah, shows up, I couldn't have been more thrilled!

Gloria, while likable, I didn't enjoy nearly as much. I found myself easily annoyed by her know-it-all type personality, and I rolled my eyes more than once when I saw how spoilt she could be. On the other hand, she could be immensely charming, and I noticed myself admiring her at certain points. I think it's that audacious, daring side of her that makes me like her. But, what really had me submersed in her story was the reckless and captivating romance with a very sexy jazz musician by the name of Jerome. The minute Gloria laid eyes on him, I fell flat on my face over a cliff in luff.

And Lorraine, though I couldn't completely sympathize with her, I did pity her somewhat. I mean, having a gorgeous, have-it-all best friend, a lack of self-esteem, being spurned and overlooked by the boy you've been crushing on for the longest, and bested by someone you underestimated cannot be easy. The fact that she made so many ridiculous and embarrassing attempts to get attention, made her not only appear pathetic, but all the more pitiable.Though, after putting this book down, and seeing her potential to do harm, to play the bad guy, I think she'd make a rather deadly enemy.

Reading about this trio of girls was a fast-paced, intense, and unpredictable journey, that has me wondering what Larkin is cooking up for the sequel. And because this was such a spectacular start to the series, I am more than ready to take on INGENUE.

"I don't want another teacher!" She went to him. If she didn't say it now, she never would. "I want you. That is what I want. That is what I came over here to tell you."
Jerome's eyes blazed as Gloria touched his shoulder. He stroked her hair gently, tilted her face up to his. "You can't know that yet. You can't know what that means."
"Then show me," she said, pulling closer. "Show me." (291) *melts*

View the original here, at Paranormal Indulgence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vixen.

04/27/2011 page 421