Tony Bertauski's Reviews > The Iron King

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Dec 01, 10

Read from November 24 to December 01, 2010

I'm not a fantasy reader. And the Harlequin book cover with the library's "romance" sticker wasn't warming me up. But Kagawa has such an easy-reading, authentic voice that I enjoyed the entire book. The dialog was fresh and real; especially the exchanges between Ash and Puck, humorous as well as captivating. Her imagination runs wind in several scenes, conjuring up vivid characters, monsters and action. The bar scene with the character named Shard is a great example! And she doesn't lose the plot in the imagery all the way to a satisfying conclusion with plenty of room for a sequel.

There were times I felt there were too many characters and scenes, jumping from one imaginary character to another so quickly that it was hard to get settled. Grimalkin was an excellent sidekick, but I couldn't shake the similarity to the Cheshire Cat with the invisibility and the eyes. And reference to faeryland as Nevernever was too reminiscent of Peter Pan's Neverland. These could've been easily altered to avoid comparisons.

By the way, my 12 year old daughter loooved it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.

11/24/2010 page 30
8.0% "So my library has a "romance" sticker on the binder and I think this isn't the book for me, but my daughter will probably enjoy it. Got to say, so far it doesn't feel like romance and I'm enjoying the author's voice. Also, she's showing just enough to keep me intrigued. Fantasy usually isn't my thing, but so far-so good."