Kate Kaynak's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Nov 24, 2010

bookshelves: great-ya, spencer-hill-press, to-read

This book is amazing! Fans of VAMPIRE ACADEMY will love it. The main character, Alex, has a wonderfully edgy, sarcastic voice, and she's simultaneously strong and vulnerable. I pulled this query out of the slush pile and read the manuscript in a day--I couldn't put it down! Put this on your "to-read" list; you won't be disappointed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

07/26/2016 marked as: read

Jaymi Griffin I absolutely agree with you!

Richard Surely fans of Vampire Academy have already read this since everything about it sounds like a straight rip-off.

Kate Kaynak HALF-BLOOD was actually written BEFORE Vampire Academy came out--it's NOT a rip-off, and the later books in the two series have no similarities.

Vi (the Vi3tBabe) That's right, you tell them Kate! People need to get their facts straight before they make rude comments!

Kate Kaynak Thanks, Vivian!

Kacie Hastings Actually, Armentrout stated that she wrote Half-Blood in early 2008; Vampire Academy was published in 2007. So, Half-Blood was not written first. She claims not to have read the VA series until long after she wrote Half-Blood, but it seems the similarities are quite striking.

message 7: by Camille (new)

Camille I don't think VA fans are loving it.

Coral I'm reading Half-blood and it looks like the first VA novel (which I like so much) I'm enjoying it :)

message 9: by Fan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fan I think most VA fans hate it. Just sayin'. Armentrout pretty much stole the characters and places from VA and switched their names. Seriously.

Noémy Oh come on! Stop saying the book was written before Vampire Academy! This is such a blatant lie. I have to second Kacie Hastings' comment : the first VA book was published in 2007 and in her blog Mrs Armentrout back in 2011 or 2012 said she had started writing Half-blood in 2009 I believe. I understand the need for editors to defend and protect their clients but please don't act like we are stupid. Thank you