Erik Graff's Reviews > The Adams Chronicles: Four Generations of Greatness

The Adams Chronicles by Jack Shepherd

Feb 15, 2013

bookshelves: biography
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Recommended for: Americans
Read in October, 2007 — I own a copy , read count: 1

During the Bicentennial I had a work-study job as a security guard for Union Theological Seminary in Manhattan, a job held during all four years there. New York was a good place to be during the 1976 events as an early part of the war was fought down what is now Broadway--an American retreat up the island and across to New Jersey--and a "Tall Ship" regatta occurred upon the Hudson. Broadway was just outside my window in Hastings Hall, while the Hudson and the Jersey pallisades were viewable just around the corner. With my job, however, and it being July fourth, I was offered double-time for "guarding" the roof of Van Dusen Hall overlooking the river in order to prevent patriots there to view the ships from being overcome by enthusiam and hurling themselves off. It was a lovely, sunny day. It was the extent of my participation in the grand celebration of the revolution of two centuries previous.

At the time of Bicentennial a whole host of books and other media celebrated the event. One of them was the television series, The Adams Chronicles, the dramatization of four generations of Adamses, including the presidents John and John Quincy. Although there was a tv in the tiny dorm lounge downstairs, a black-and-white one, I didn't see it or really much of anything during the years in New York. I still haven't seen it.

This book covers the material dramatized in the series, but without fictional reconstructions of conversations and the like. Instead, it's a straightforward series of biographies with enough historical background to carry the reader through.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adams Chronicles.