Becky Tucker's Reviews > The Wide Window

1962167
Dec 08, 10

bookshelves: 420-books
Read from November 24 to 25, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This is another story of the Baudelaire orphans. In this book, the three orphans go to live with their Aunt Josephine at Lake Lachrymose. She is afraid of everything and when Count Olaf comes for the children, she ends up faking her own suicide and hiding out at Curdled Cave. The orphans find her and attempt to bring her back to prove that Captain Sham is indeed Count Olaf and that he is after their money again. So they take her half way across the lake when they start getting attacked by the deadly Lachrymose leeches. Their boat is sinking as Count Olaf (Captain Sham) approaches and "saves" all of them except Aunt Josephine who is left to be eaten by the leeches. When they get back to the shore, Count Olaf is found out because he loses his fake wooden leg and the children are saved from his grasp one more time as he and his accomplice get away.

I like this book the most out of the first three because I think the house at Lake Lachrymose is very intriguing. I also think it's interesting that Aunt Josephine is so selfish and just abandons the orphans when trouble arrives. Good thing the orphans are so self reliant! I would probably recommend this book to anyone who is at its reading level(upper elementary school). Again, the books are sad, but I think they aren't too much for children to handle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wide Window.