Jenn's Reviews > Pathfinder

Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: book-club
Read from April 04 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy

I am slightly torn on how to rate this book. Obviously I am going with four stars, but it is not a wholehearted four. Things I loved: the unique combination of science fiction and fantasy, most of the characters most of the time, and the plot. Things I didn't love: when the characters over-think and the way my head would spin when they talk about time travel.

Some elaboration on the things I loved: There is a mixture of genres here that really works. You sort of think you know what you are dealing with, but as the story unfolds there is a very exciting dimension to it. The main character, Rigg, is mostly likable but occasionally irritating and slightly unbelievable. The story itself is a good one with excitement around every corner.

And more on the things I didn't love: There are times when the characters' thought processes are vocalized to the point of exhaustion. Especially when it isn't the first time they are vocalized. And I know that time travel will always be one of those things that has many unknowns. I mean, what are the hard and fast rules behind time travel? And if you are experiencing it for the first time, you will obviously have many questions and concerns. But I seriously had a slight headache after some of their discussions and felt more confused than ever.

All that said, I am a huge Orson Scott Card fan and I wasn't disappointed by this book. I may be hovering between "like" and "love," but I look forward to the next installment.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pathfinder.