Diane Ferbrache's Reviews > Cage of Stars

Nov 24, 10

liked it
bookshelves: family-stories, religious-theme
Read in November, 2010

Ronnie lives in rural Utah with her family -- Mom, Dad, and sisters Becky and Ruthie. They have an idyllic life, loyal in their LDS (Mormon) faith, until the unthinkable happens. Mentally ill Scott Early shows up one day and brutally murders Becky and Ruthie while 15-year old Ronnie is babysitting. There was nothing she could have done to stop him and no one blames Ronnie. In fact, following the tenents of their faith, her parents even forgive Scott, but that doesn't console Ronnie. After a couple of years of nightmares, she hatches a plan.

This story starts at the end and then goes back to the beginning, so the readers know that Ronnie has done SOMETHING, but not what. That's where you find the suspense in this novel. I read it in just two days. It is definitely a page turner, BUT it does drag sometimes. Although a critical element of the story, there's sometimes a bit too much explanation of LDS practices and teachings. Although I'm not LDS, I lived in Salt Lake City for a while & read a great deal about the church. Perhaps that's why if found it tiresome sometimes. For others, who are not as familiar, the details are probably important to explain how the characters react to the murders.

I always enjoy Michard's books and this one did not disappoint. I don't think it's her best, but worth the time and certainly thought-provoking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cage of Stars.