Kim's Reviews > The Search

Nov 24, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: abandoned, audiobooks-read
Read in November, 2010

I rarely decide to 'just forget it'. I really have to hope that a published book is good enough to at some point draw my interest, so I wait it out. However, this is one of the rare books that I just cannot force myself through no matter what. I cannot say whether it was the audiobook reader that bothered me & made Fiona such an unattractive character to me; or if the book just sucked. Maybe it was a little of both. Fiona was a total bitch. I love the strong women characters but this one was just over the top. I kinda liked Simon but I just could NOT figure out WHY he had any attraction for her at all. She constantly told him off, I never saw her be gentle or loving with him in any way. Plus she had alot of ANGRY emotional baggage. Okay, most characters come with baggage or they couldn't be interesting, but the fun part of that is that you can relate to them in some way, you feel for them and want things to go well. I made it about half way through the book and didn't like to hear her rantings, didn't care if she was scared (she wouldn't do anything to help herself, just relied on all around her to force protection onto her), she was just a really ugly person in my opinion.
I don't want to try to pick this one up again. Sometimes I think these things can be a mood funk or again, maybe I'm not connecting with a reader in an audio version. Whatever it is, I have no interest in ever trying it again.
Love Nora Roberts, but The Search is a DUD!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Search.

message 1: by Katy (new) - rated it 1 star

Katy Dailey I totally agree! I'm reading it and only on page 70, but there is nothing likable about Fiona, and I'm not too thrilled with Simon. I was reading it over breakfast and actually thought, "Maybe I'll just go scoop the litter box instead." oh well. Glad to know I wasn't alone or crazy on this one.

message 2: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky I think she made the book a little long too! I'm on page 220 and I just put the book down mid chapter! I feel like I know what's going to happen and how it's going to end so what's the point of being bored for another 200 pages!