Maninee's Reviews > The Battle of the Labyrinth

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

Sep 25, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, adventure
Read from November 24 to 25, 2010

The fourth and so far the best book in the series, Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth is definitely up to the brim with surprises.

It starts with fourteen-soon-to-be-dreaded-sixteen Percy being taken by his mom to the orientation of his new school. Little does he know that soon he will be attacked by a couple of cheerleaders, and not because they think he's handsome. Meanwhile his best friend Annabeth is keeping an eye on Percy's arch enemy Luke and his ever growing evil army out on the tops of Mt. Tam.

I don't say that this is the best book in the series for nothing.

First of all, in this book, the series starts to develop it's own characteristics. So much that I could hardly relate it to Harry Potter anymore. It finally feels like an original story, not a terrible remake of the Harry Potter books. And that's a major improvement.

Second of all, in this book, the tasks that Percy face are way more difficult than those in the first two books. This makes the story way more believable, exciting and thrilling. I mean, 12 year old Percy defeating the immortal god of war isn't very convincing. But Tiordan definitely makes up for that by putting Percy to the test in this book.

Thirdly, the story is starting to take the form of an epic adventure and not just a light read. Unlike the first two books where it was all okey dokey and everyone knew that Percy would save the day and nobody would get hurt, this book shows us that the world of Percy Jackson is as dangerous as it gets. Not everyone comes out alive and a few deaths make it all the more sad and in a way exciting. Cause you know that very safe feeling of the first two books are gone.

So yes, this, in my opinion, is a great and must read and proof that all authors can improve drastically with a few changes in plot and writing style.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Battle of the Labyrinth.

11/24/2010 page 160
47.0% "brilliant."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Namratha Kumar Nice ! For me the Battle of the Labyrinth will always be about Daedalus's laptop filled with his ideas and inventions that he gifts Annabeth. Truly cool!